Instructor Ticket Sequence - what next?

TMetzinger

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Tim
My CFI-A ride is scheduled for the end of January, and I'm thinking ahead. Is it more efficient to do the CFI-IA first and then do the MEI or does it not matter?

If I do the MEI first, do I have to take two CFII rides in a single and a multi to have instrument instructor privileges in the Multi and Single?

Do the IA so you won't be grounded on cloudy days... like I am right now. It's also a logical progression if you have a good student who wants to keep on going after the private, and likely a good business proposition if you have a client that wants you to fly with them in their shiny new toy.

Ryan

My CFI-A ride is scheduled for the end of January, and I'm thinking ahead. Is it more efficient to do the CFI-IA first and then do the MEI or does it not matter?
Doesn't really matter -- there's no overlap.

If I do the MEI first, do I have to take two CFII rides in a single and a multi to have instrument instructor privileges in the Multi and Single?
No.

I took my CFII checkride about 3 weeks after I passed the CFI-A checkride. I had a lot of stuff fresh in my mind and I was extremely instrument proficient at the time so I figured I mind as well get it out of the way while still very sharp with the material. Frankly, the ride was a piece of cake if you are well prepared and know your instrument material.

Whether you take the CFII ride before the MEI or not, it shouldn't matter. At the end of the day you will have instrument instructor privileges in both single and multi-engine aircraft.

Last edited:
I did the II and the MEI on the same ride, its just a II ride in a twin plus a se approach from what I remember.

Last edited:
I did the CFI-IA first, followed by the CFI-A. As much as I'd like to go take the MEI ride, I just don't have the money to do so, nor do I really have any job prospects that would require it. Heck, I can't seem to find anything in my area's that will touch an instructor with less than 100 hours of dual given.

I did the II and the MEI on the same ride, its just a II ride in a twin plus a se approach from what I remember.
There's a lot more for the AME additional rating than a single-engine approach, and there's no Vmc or drag demo or engine failure on takeoff (or a lot of other AME stuff) on an IA additional rating ride. Read the Additional Rating Task Table in the relevent PTS's (CFI-Airplane and CFI-Instrument) for the details.

Back