Installing drivers

Everskyward

Experimenter
Display Name

Display name:
Everskyward
I have just installed the full version of Windows XP professional on a laptop computer, however since it was a clean installation it is missing some drivers. I have downloaded some drivers from another site but the computer can't find them and I don't seem to be able to browse to them manually. I'm not precisely sure which driver goes to which device either. Any help would be... helpful. :)

Mari, see here: http://support.gateway.com/s/Checklists/BPC/ck20070625110.shtml

Even though you probably don't have a Gateway, the "step by step" instructions for the WINDOWS steps is accurate.

The way to pick the driver manually and browse to where it is on your computer is in the section "Install a driver using the Drivers & Downloads page on the Gateway web site", starting in step 8.

The first step in the instructions, under the heading "Open Device Manager", tells you how to detect if a specific device is having driver issues (look for the red x on the device or a black exclamation point). From that point, follow step 8 in the previously mentioned section.

I'm not sure what web site you downloaded the drivers from, but I'd suggest looking in Device Manager for the ones that are having issues, then go directly to the device manufacturer's site and look for the latest WinXP drivers.

Also, since this is a new install, make sure you run Windows Update and get all of the latest security updates from the Microsoft site if you haven't already done so. That will also clear up some of your device issues, if there are newer drivers from Microsoft available.

The manufacturer's site probably would be the easiest source if the laptop is still supported.

What drivers are you missing?

-Rich

Downloading updates and drivers now....

The manufdacturers website may be the only place to find drivers listed as "unkown device."

Yay, I figured out how to do it. You don't need to go through Device Manager, in fact it doesn't work that way. All you need to do is double click on the downloaded driver file. :)

Yay, I figured out how to do it. You don't need to go through Device Manager, in fact it doesn't work that way. All you need to do is double click on the downloaded driver file. :)

Ah, you got a self-installing driver package. Even better.

If all you had was the actual DRIVER, you would have had to do it the other way. Glad you had the SIMPLE solution!

Back