Installing DME in Cherokee 140?

Leave the panel alone till after you get your instrument license. Installing a GPS now will increase the complexity of instrument training several times over. You will have to learn how to operate the new equipment at a very high level for the checkride. While training, simpler is better.

ADS-B out compliance is NOT mandatory for everyone! It depends on the airspace you operate intend to operate. Of you decide you need it you will need an approved GPS source, but the source DOES NOT have to be a GPS navigation system.

There are ADS-B out solutions that have a GPS built in to provide the position source, and these devices are cheaper to buy and install, but they don't add any navigation capability to you aircraft.

The downside to ADS-B compliance besides the cost is the fact that it becomes a no-go item if it breaks. Per the regs, if ADS-B is installed, it must be on at ALL times, even on the ground and in airspace where it is not required.
You have a citation for that last part? I don't think that flying with a broken transponder is legally equivalent to flying with a working one that has been turned off.

FAR 91.225 (f)

(f) Each person operating an aircraft equipped with ADS-B Out must operate this equipment in the transmit mode at all times.

Also here: 91.227 (G)

If inoperative you are allowed to fly only under the following provisions:

1) For operation of an aircraft with an inoperative ADS-B Out, to the airport of ultimate destination, including any intermediate stops, or to proceed to a place where suitable repairs can be made or both, the request may be made at any time.

Also AC 20-165B states in several places that the system must be on and working at all times and an annunciator provided to alert the pilot of malfunction. Here is a quote from one place:

2.2.2.5 Include guidance in the flight manual on when to enable the ADS-B OUT system. The ADS-B OUT system must be enabled (turned ON) during all phases of flight operation including airport surface movement operations. ADS-B IN surface applications and ATC surface surveillance will use ADS-B OUT broadcasts; thus, it is important for aircraft ADS-B OUT systems to continue to transmit on the airport surface. If the ADS-B OUT function is embedded in a Mode S transponder, the flight manual, checklists, and any operator procedures manuals must be updated accordingly with ADS-B OUT operations guidance.

Note: Historically, transponders have been turned on by the flightcrew when entering the runway for takeoff and turned off or to standby when exiting the runway after landing. When ADS-B is integrated into a Mode S transponder, the existing guidance for transponder operation must be updated to ensure the ADS-B system is operating during airport surface movement operation

Once installed ADS-B Out is a REQUIRED piece of equipment, more like an ELT than a transponder.

Last edited:
I am doing my instrument ground school as we speak and I have realized that having DME would probably be very beneficial when I do my instrument training (I will start the flying after summer). I have dual VORs, one of which is an ILS. See panel layout below. I think the biggest issue is going to be finding a spot to put it. View attachment 54094

I plan to call an avionics guy, but just out of curiosity, what do you guys think it would cost to buy an older used DME and have it installed?

Thanks.
I've never tried to turn on my DME (not sure what make/model it is) pictured below but if it works, I plan to do a panel re-work in the near future and will put it on here to whoever wants to pay shipping. May be too late for you by the time I get around to it.

Attachments

• IMG_3613.JPG
    IMG_3613.JPG
    110.1 KB · Views: 21
I've never tried to turn on my DME (not sure what make/model it is) pictured below but if it works, I plan to do a panel re-work in the near future and will put it on here to whoever wants to pay shipping. May be too late for you by the time I get around to it.

Nice panel

What would you want to rework on that panel?
Looks pretty nice to me!
Unless you want one of those Garmin G500/600 set ups or the Aspen equivalent on the left?

What would you want to rework on that panel?
Looks pretty nice to me!
Unless you want one of those Garmin G500/600 set ups or the Aspen equivalent on the left?
Thank you. I do want a G500 but I'm not going to do it now (or probably ever in this plane). I like my panel layout but there is no room for a engine monitor with the current setup unless I put it off to the right. I'd prefer it where the current EGT gauge is but that's a small hole. I'd like to do the twin CGR-30P's but can't figure where to put them as the middle is full with the garmin 530/430 on the left and a gmx200/radar on the right. Was thinking if I cleaned up the left side and got rid of the DME/EGT I might be able to put the T&B where the EGT is and have room for the side by side CGR's just above the autopilot mode selector? Not sure how to play it but I really want an engine monitor and digital fuel flow/computer.

We split the cost...point being is it is OUR airplane and my dad won't spring for a 430.

Anyways I got my answer and it sounds like leaving the panel as is is fine.

Not sure if you were trying to be condescending or just a friendly joke with this one
In the interim you can be on the lookout for a GNS300 or 300XL,(only difference between them is XL is moving map) It's a very capable approach certified GPS/comm. They can be had for under $3k plus installation. You have a couple of years before ADSB becomes mandatory, and then only for certian airspace. There are some self contained ADSB out get-ups out there with their own waas gps, so no need for a 430w.

Back