"Installing" a touch screen ?

EdFred

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
White Chocolate
For those of you that have seen my panel you know where it's going. For those of you that haven't, see the picture. Basically what I've got is a Viliv S5 which is my EFB. Problem is, it's pretty small to read when looking at the charts on it. So to solve that issue (hopefully it's a glitch free compatibility) I have arriving tomorrow a Lilliput UM-80/C/T. It will fit in the area to the left of the 340/430. Not in the 6" x 6" cutout, but over it.

If I screw a bracket into the panel using the three screw holes to the left of the GPS and the one on the left side of the 6" x 6" cutout am I going to need to have a field approval? If quickly removable would you get a field approval? The UM-80 itself will not be running off airplane power, but running off the S5 which is just using the 12V accessory plug. I will probably take the cutout out, and run the USB cables behind the panel and down to the S5 which will get velcroed/mounted right under the transponder.

Suggestions/thoughts?

Attachments

• panel1.jpg
    panel1.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 105
Nice panel! I like the T-arrangement (that most Comanches do not have).

I ran several laptop, remote monitor, and tablet PC arrangements in my plane for years. I never was happy with any of the setups. There always seemed to be a problem. so I am back to using a Garmin 396 fulltime for nav. I still keep a Fujitsu ST4121 for charts though. It is a nice tablet b/c it has a transflective display which makes it sunlight readable.

To that point, I read the specs on the Liliput display... I have not used this particular monitor, but a brightness of 250cd/m2 seems light for sunlight readable. Most sunlight readable monitors are spec'd around 1000 cd/m2. So viewability would be my 1st concern.

Mounting. I would just velcro it to the panel. The monitor at just over 1 lb should easily be supported by velcro. I think even the strictest FSDO would be ok with that.

As far as running the wires behind the panel. It certainly would look better, and more importantly, would reduce the chances of stepping on a cable.... which is one of my pet peeves of the PC/monitor setup in the cockpit.

Last, make sure the reset button or power switch is easily accessible on your computer. I had to reboot in flight on several occasions.

I would not think a simple attachment as you describe should require a field approval.

But, I agree that the velcro option is also a sound idea; adequate amounts of velcro, it ain't goin' nowhere.

I can't wait to hear how this works for you!

Sounds like a couple strips of sheet metal screwed to the screen (there are attachment screws I believe) and velcroed to the panel may be the quick and easy route. Just need to make sure there's no vibration like the velcro set up with the S5. Made the chart reading a bit more trying.

I'm thinking velcro is the best option. On the Aztec, I have a plumber's clamp designed for clamping onto pipes that I clamp onto one of the main frame tubes up front for my handheld. I figure that's fine seeing as the unit comes with a very similar setup to clamp it to the yoke.

Looking forward to the pictures, as I would like to have an additional screen as well.

If I screw a bracket into the panel using the three screw holes to the left of the GPS and the one on the left side of the 6" x 6" cutout am I going to need to have a field approval?
Will it be hard-wired into the aircraft's electrical system? If so, most FSDO's will say you need approval on a 337. If not, it's a minor alteration requiring nothing more than an A&P's signature. Velcro is a non-event.

The UM-80 itself will not be running off airplane power, but running off the S5 which is just using the 12V accessory plug. I will probably take the cutout out, and run the USB cables behind the panel and down to the S5 which will get velcroed/mounted right under the transponder.
Sounds "minor" to me, but only your FSDO Airworthiness folks can tell you for sure.

Sounds like a couple strips of sheet metal screwed to the screen (there are attachment screws I believe) and velcroed to the panel may be the quick and easy route. Just need to make sure there's no vibration like the velcro set up with the S5. Made the chart reading a bit more trying.
Rather than Velcro, I'd go with 3M "dual lock" which is much stronger, provides a much more solid mounting, and doesn't wear out like Velcro from repeated mount/unmount cycles.

http://www.andybaird.com/travels/gertie/superlock.htm

I can't see it vibrating anymore on Velcro than if affixed othewises but I guess you will find that out. My bigger concern for you would be visability as mentioned by Nathan.

The unit arrived today.
First impressions:

The brightness of it is just as good, if not a little better than the Viliv S5.
I will have to get some antiglare "paper" for the screen as I did the S5, but that is no big yank.
The USB cord is a mini-usb into the monitor, and a double USB input into the computer. One for the display, one for the touch screen. You can run it as display only without the touch screen if you so desire.
Response time is fast/immediate.
Installation is easy, and quick.

The only downside I see so far is a resolution "glitch". And that is an issue on the S5. I am not sure if the S5 only comes with one resolution setting or if some resolutions were disabled from aviationsafety as part of them making sure the software worked in making it the Flight Cheetah 150. When you first connect and install to the S5 which has a resolution of 1024x600, and you run the UM-80 as a duplicate image of what is on the S5, in order to match up (800x600) it gives a black border around the display, and reduces the effective viewing area on the UM-80, and also distorts the display on the S5.

Setting the UM-80 as the main monitor, or extending it gives full display capability.
Now, off to Best Buy to get a 4 port USB hub so I can plug this plus the GPS antenna in and use the touch screen on the S5. Touch screen worked great connected to my desktop computer.

This is going to be awesome.

Keep it comin', Ed; I smell some cool ideas brewing...

Keep it comin', Ed; I smell some cool ideas brewing...

It also has its own USB port on the side, so you can chain another USB device through it - including more of these monitors. I'll take some pictures as soon as I get the hub.

Rather than Velcro, I'd go with 3M "dual lock" which is much stronger, provides a much more solid mounting, and doesn't wear out like Velcro from repeated mount/unmount cycles.

http://www.andybaird.com/travels/gertie/superlock.htm

I woudn't. I used this stuff in our airplane to hold a fuel timer down next to the trim wheel. Locks so well together, but in the heat of the cabin during the summer last year the adhesive would remove before you could break the bond of the plastic interlocking teeth to get the timer off. If you want a more perm mount, its good, but if you think you'll be taking this display off regularly, I think the velcro would be better since it will release a little easier and not pull off the adhesive.

Now.. looks like you are mounting to the metal panel, where we were mounted to the plastic shroud near the trim wheel, so that may be a difference too.

Grrrrrr....

Monitor works fine with the Viliv. Can't get the touch screen to calibrate.

This is not awesome. The touch screen works with 3 different desktop PCs, and will not work with the Viliv. And of course probably being the first person to deal with this, there is 0 help. 0 forums.

Ugh. I can get the display fine, just no touch screen.

This is not awesome. The touch screen works with 3 different desktop PCs, and will not work with the Viliv. And of course probably being the first person to deal with this, there is 0 help. 0 forums.

Ugh. I can get the display fine, just no touch screen.
Bring it all to Gastons and we'll figure it out over some crown...

Ok. I have traced it to the trouble point... over to technical subforum...

The electrical system has been updated in the plane. Now to get a second piece of aluminum and put the dremel to work.

Oh, and figure out how to get a car to the airport after I pick the plane up...

Last edited:
Cool. Looking forward to pics and how you got it to work.

On the back side of the touch screen there are 4 threaded mounting holes. I am going to get another piece of aluminum of the same size and thickness of that cutout in the panel. I am going to cut 4 keyhole slots into the aluminum a hole for the USB cord, and that baby should snap right into place. And since the monitor is not screwed into the panel - it's not installed. No need for a 337 or FSDO approval. The USB hub is just going to get Velcroed up under the panel to the carpeting that covers the area under the center stack.

The Viliv and the USB hub will get powered via two female accessory plugs hidden behind the panel and a couple adapters from Radio Shack. A couple zip ties and I'm golden.

Scrap piece of 1/8" aluminum procured, and cut to size. Keyhole slots (functional, but ugly cuts) done. Cord access opening cut. "Install" to take place in about an 90 minutes.

It looks like a really nice setup. Now I'm thinking about how I could add one to the Aztec so I can get my GPS/WX on the tablet and then put approach plates on the second screen.

Impressive, Ed. Brightness appears to be thoroughly adequate. Will it dim down reasonably easily for night ops?

I just made a deal to buy a 396 (for the time being), but I am still watching your results so I may shamelessly copy you.

Yes, there are only 3 buttons on the monitor. Power, brightness increase, and brightness decrease. Ther are about 6 pictures showing charts as well.

Wow.. That is one heckuva setup!

*cough* patent *cough* ;)

Back