Installing a new nose wheel tube - Cessna 150

buzzard86

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jim R
I got a flat this weekend on the nose wheel of my Cessna 150 and it looks like I need to replace the tube. I think that the process is pretty straightforward and I have a basic understanding of the steps, but I've never done this before. Any tips/tricks from those that have been there and done that?

Jim

Get someone who has done it to help you. Be sure you don't pinch the new tube when you install it.

Thanks guys. I've reviewed the service manual and think I have a pretty good sense of the steps. Going to give it a shot.
Jim

Or baby powder.

Jim

Thanks, everyone. I used baby powder. I made the repair first thing this morning and everything went very smoothly. Took me about 1.5 hours start to finish, including driving home from the airport to work on the wheel in my garage. I'm back in business.

Jim

Thanks, everyone. I used baby powder. I made the repair first thing this morning and everything went very smoothly. Took me about 1.5 hours start to finish, including driving home from the airport to work on the wheel in my garage. I'm back in business.

Just as important is that you did something you didn't know you could do, and it was easier than you expected.

A 150 is about as simple an airplane as spam cans can be. Don't be afraid to work on it. I'm assuming that you have the Service Manual and Parts Manual, and with those two things you're ready for bear. I have both on paper and in PDF files. The PDFs don't take up a lot of space, so they are on not only my computers but also on the tablets that I fly with.

Make double sure you get the torque values right on the wheel halves, use baby powder and don't forget about the red dot for balance. If you try and balance the wheel, take the bearings out first. Use a valve stem removal tool every time.
Best,
Brian

Back