Install time of a JPI 830 vs a JPI 900.

drotto

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
drotto
I am thinking of putting in a new engine monitor and basically have it down to these two (the 930 is much harder to fit on the panel). I know the 900 is roughly 2 K more for the unit, and is designed as a primary flight device, which is attractive to me. But I am not sure I " need" the 900, and the 830 does almost everything the 900 does.

I got a quote to for each unit and the install time on the 900 was about 15 hours more. I was told it was because of having to rerun and replace all the sensors as well as fully removing all the old stuff. And the resulting panel work.

From those who have had these units done does this sound correct? I knew the price difference for the unit itself, but the final cost with install comes up to about double.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Unless you plan on removing the legacy engine instruments (save some space, weight), I would go with 830, half the sensors can be used for the 830. The extra hours come from fuel calibration and a few other additional senders you don’t have on 830.
However, speaking from experience, you’ll wish you got the 900 the first time one of your legacy instruments fail. Fixing old instruments is expensive, personally I would look for other’s selling theirs and use them as spares.

Back