Inspiring Pilot

nj2kansascity

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
nj2kansascity
Hello! Greetings from Afghanistan! About me, My name is Steve, Im 27 (dont think too old :/), and have few college credits. I've always been facinated to fly, but never could mix work with my dedication fly, if that makes any sense.

I plan on trying for my private pilot's cert as as soon as I get back from Afghan. And if that all goes all well, I would like to keep progressing in getting more ratings, but that is in the future (after i actually receive the private pilot's Cert) I am very excited.

Would you recommend reading any books? and learning as much as I can before i even start with the training.

Also, I would like to know how everyone felt before their initial training? Were they anxious? a little nervous? Like, will I be able to learn to fly? Will i be ok in a small plane? Will i freeze up in my Solo? Questions like that.

I am a anxious and a little nervous. I hope that is normal.

Thank you and take care

Only one way to know how you will feel. That is to get yourself in a small airplane and fly!

Odds are you will be fine and be addicted. Don't worry about your solo right now. You will have approx 15 hours of flight time when that happens.

Welcome to POA!

Thanks alot for the quick reply! And yeah your right, Shouldnt worry too much... I tend to overthink things

Hey Steve, Welcome!

Having just passed my CR I was reflecting on my journey and what I did right and what I could have done better along the way. Do you have regular access to a computer there? The thing I found that helped me the most was getting acquainted with the radio and ATC (I used VATSIM in conjunction with MS FSX, liveatc.net, and my handheld scanner) - any combination thereof provide great exposure and will make you more comfortable and confident with how to communicate - that allows you to spend more time concentrating on flying the plane.

On the flip side, the area where I had to make a concerted effort was in the regulations and the "book smarts" of flying - aka the stuff they'll test you on. If you have an iPad, pick up Sporty's Study Buddy app and start plugging away. You'll get to know a lot about the rules of the road and flying in general without having to be behind a yoke. Personally, I think that anything that gives you that level of exposure - basically a do-it-yourself ground school - would be a huge advantage before you actually log time.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

Yes i have access to a computer both at work and in my quarters. I will defenitely look in to all that and keep you guys posted. Im so anxious because i have to wait, which stinks. So excited! Thank you very much!!!

Hey Steve. I'd like to start out by thanking you for your service over in Afghanistan. It is always appreciated by me!

Now to your questions. You are not too old. I started at 27 too ( now 30). It's a good time in your life to do it. I figured I should start before I settle down and hopefully start a family. As far as what I felt before starting, I knew I loved flying and I knew I loved going to the airport when I would go on vacations. I never could possibly know that I would also love the freedom flying gives you and the utter relaxation that flying up in the air by yourself or with family and friends can give you. I love flying alone because it is the closest thing I can get to truely escaping.

You could order a textbook and read it. I read the Jepessen Private pilot course. I like the textbook because it is not overwhelming and was actually relatively easy to understand. I'd also order the Jeppesen private pilot maneuvers manual that comes with the textbook because it outlines how to fly the required private pilot check ride maneuvers to get your license in a very clear way and is full of illustrations.

Thanks for your service. I would suggest a copy of stick and rudder for reading,also one of the basic PP study manuals. Then when you get back you will be ready for the written test. Good luck.

Hey welcome to POA. I was a bit anxious when I started flying but it stopped a few hours in. Everyone is different so just go try it. Read anything you can get your hands on.

Back