Insider info re: Awards Travel needed

gkainz

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Kainz
Hey guys'n gals - looking for some insider info regarding frequent flyer awards travel. I booked 4 out of 5 tickets this weekend for a Thanksgiving trip using "Super Saver" category (25000 miles) and the 5th ticket attempt bounced due to "flight booked or not available". I checked again this morning and still get the same results. The desired flight does have seats available using the "Standard" category (40000) miles, however, as well as cash purchase. So, the question for one who knows - might the airline release another few super saver category seats for this flight or should I book this using standard category?

I know, kind of like asking "when should I buy in on XYZ stock" question, but at least this insider info won't qualify me as the next resident of Martha Stewart's previous residence...

Thanks!

gkainz said:
Hey guys'n gals - looking for some insider info regarding frequent flyer awards travel. I booked 4 out of 5 tickets this weekend for a Thanksgiving trip using "Super Saver" category (25000 miles) and the 5th ticket attempt bounced due to "flight booked or not available". I checked again this morning and still get the same results. The desired flight does have seats available using the "Standard" category (40000) miles, however, as well as cash purchase. So, the question for one who knows - might the airline release another few super saver category seats for this flight or should I book this using standard category?

I know, kind of like asking "when should I buy in on XYZ stock" question, but at least this insider info won't qualify me as the next resident of Martha Stewart's previous residence...

Thanks!

Greg, sounds like you hit the free seat limit on the flight. You're lucky to get 4. Given the current load factors, an extra seat is not likely to open up.

Depending on the airline, the 'standard' category is almost the same pool as purchased tickets. I just got done booking some award travel with Delta. There were a bunch of flights 'not available' for the 'saver' level (25,000 miles) but it was wide open for the 'choice' level (50,000 miles).

I'd also bet that continuing to try and book it in the saver class counts on their system as 'demand' for the flight, meaning they think you'll be willing to pay more, so therefore they won't open more lower cost tickets until close to flight time. And with increased loads/reduced capacity, they probably don't have to.

You probably could waitlist it, but I've given up entirely on waitlists (and I'm top-level platinum). They just don't clear.

If you're locked into those flights and times, I think I would probably be grateful to FOUR at the lower award level, suck it up, and book the one ticket at the higher award level. Doing the math, it raises the average award requirement, per ticket, by 3,000 miles.

One other thought... what would it cost to buy the ticket outright? It may be lower per-mile-cost to buy rather than do the award. It's been a while, but I used to use the "buy one ticket, get the second on mileage" technique successfully in the past.

Thanks for the reply, Bill. I did consider that my continued attempts to book the ticket would show up as demand, and hinder any chances that the airline would release another saver level award seat into the pool. The cash price is fairly reasonable at $282 from Denver to Ontario, CA so now I'm pondering the perceived value of 40,000 miles vs $282 cash price. We're pretty stuck on flights since the single ticket that didn't book is for my 13 year old son, whom we don't want traveling alone.

You've likely hit the limit for those tickets for that flight. Gonna have to buy #5.

My suggestion would be to do it quick, while you still can.

gkainz said:

Thanks!

Ended up spending 40000 miles to get ticket #5 but I guess in the grand scheme of things it was worth it.

Greg:

Did you speak with a supervisior or, not sure of title... demand manager? If you are a good customer of the airline, the manager has the authority to open up an additional seat for you. This worked on Delta for a trip to Hawaii, easily got three seats, the fourth took some effort to climb up the corporate ladder and find someone with authority.
If you are not a frequent flyer on the airline, your chances of success go way down.

Gary

Gary said:
Greg:

Did you speak with a supervisior or, not sure of title... demand manager? If you are a good customer of the airline, the manager has the authority to open up an additional seat for you. This worked on Delta for a trip to Hawaii, easily got three seats, the fourth took some effort to climb up the corporate ladder and find someone with authority.
If you are not a frequent flyer on the airline, your chances of success go way down.

Gary

I'd be surprised if that works in today's world. Even as a Platinum-level on Delta, I couldn't get seats opened up - even though they'd sell them to me. A month before, or two days before, didn't matter. And going up the chain got me no where.

I only succeeded in that once, after DL royally screwed me on a Europe trip, and I called the main offices and worked my way up to some assistant in the executive offices. After pointing out that I had some control over company purchasing, and pointing out that I had spent nearly $60,000 in travel on the airline over the prior year, were they willing to work out an upgrade on a Europe flight that had zero upgrade seats available. When I boarded the flight, there were 10 empty seats in business class.

I've found DL to be very, very inflexible regardless of status. Hence my current rule: no waitlists.

I'm a Premier (slipped from Premier Executive since I've been working locally and don't regret it one bit) ... talked with Awards reservations and was told, in essence, "only so many seats available - pony up more miles or buy the ticket." and didn't have the patience to push the issue. But, we're booked and I'm satisfied.

wsuffa said:
I'd be surprised if that works in today's world. Even as a Platinum-level on Delta, I couldn't get seats opened up - even though they'd sell them to me. A month before, or two days before, didn't matter. And going up the chain got me no where.
It all depends on the airline and the employee's attitude--often the attitude at that moment. However, nearly anything is possible. For the past ~14+ years I have been a 50-100k miles/year customer on United. My mother is always shocked what United will do for me, including making accommodations for my mother immediately after she was told such an accommodation isn't allowed.

Given the ticket price I think buying the ticket was probably the quick and easy answer, but if the ticket had been a bit more expensive I would have tried some shameless groveling to a supervisor. Ya' never know what will happen. The worst that happens is the supervisor says, "No", and you buy the ticket.

Back