Initial radio contact

I'm waiting for the day when I hear the words "student controller" appended to my landing clearance.

While you won't hear "student controller" in conjunction with a landing clearance, if you ever do a GCA with a student on, you might very well hear "(airfield) student final controller, how do you hear me?"

It initiating the conversation, I was instructed to call " SoCal, Cessna1234 Request" then wait to be asked what I wanted, If being handed off from a tower then its "SoCal Cessna 1234 with you two thousand five hundred for three thousand five hundred". etc etc

Again having an idea of what they are going to say back to you is half the battle.

Something I always do when signing of a frequency, whether its a hand off or last call of the day is just a simple " thanks for your help" ....I get lots of surprised, "your welcome" :yesnod:

Instructors do make mistakes, so don't take everything you are told to the bank. Ask for documentation.

Bob Gardner

MarkZ, thanks for the insight from your side of the table. :yes:

I've heard way too many others call in with a diatribe of what they need just to have the controller ask them to hang on or repeat what they say. Our local TRACON said it's better to just get their attention with "Grand Rapids Approach, Bugsmasher 98765." Then they know they are probably going to have to start copying info down.

Same here except I will add 'with information bravo' or whatever their current weather is. That way they know I have the weather information with altimeter setting.

Let's start off with Advisory Circular 90-42F, which covers communications at non-towered airports but contains valuable guidance for all communications. Then let's go to AIM 4-2-3, Initial Contact, to see what the feds recommend; it even gives examples. Do not fall into the trap of saying something on the radio just because you heard someone else say it...lots of bad communications procedures out there and you do not want to get infected. You can read the AC by going to www.faa.gov...you will see Advisory Circulars on the home page.

Knowing what the controller is going to say makes it much easier to understand when s/he says it. On the faa.gov page, type 7110.65 in the search box; you will get a link to FAA Order 7110.65, which is the Air Traffic Handbook containing the phraseology that controllers are required to use; pilots do not have mandatory phraseology but controllers do.

Bob Gardner

This. Bob nailed it. He also wrote a book on it.

Myself, I usually start with...

"CQ Contest, CQ Contest, this is Whiskey Yankee Zero X-Ray, calling CQ Contest and standing by..."

And then I realize I'm on the wrong radio. Usually the fact that I don't have a foot switch and boom mic in the airplane gives it away, but not always if fatigued. Heh heh. ;) ;) ;)

PLease, please, please, don't start off radio contact with "And" whatever approach.

Many comm setups have VOX (voice-operated transmitter), so unless the pilot uses some kind of syllable (uh, and, er, whatever) to key the mike the first syllable of the transmission will be lost.

Bob Gardner

Many comm setups have VOX (voice-operated transmitter), so unless the pilot uses some kind of syllable (uh, and, er, whatever) to key the mike the first syllable of the transmission will be lost.

I've never ever seen a VOX in common use in aviation for transmitting. Which aircraft's comm stack has it?

I've never ever seen a VOX in common use in aviation for transmitting. Which aircraft's comm stack has it?

Ours does, in the cabin. It does not lose the first syllable. It's also custom made and runs over fiber to prevent EMI with the detectors. We use it as one of several forms of mission log.

As a ramp controller at Hartsfield, and as a pilot, I would ALWAYS recommend the courtesy call method. I do it when I'm working and when I'm flying. I don't care if it's busy or not.

"Atlanta departure, N12345" ...and wait.

I do it even as a ramp controller - "Delta 123 Heavy, Ramp"

It's just nice and very much appreciated.

It's what a lot of other people have said, but here are my 2 cents.

Nate, I have flown hundreds of different planes over my career....no way that I can answer that.

Bob

Nate, I have flown hundreds of different planes over my career....no way that I can answer that.

Heh. Understand. :)

I wouldn't say VOX is "common" nowadays for anything except the intercom, but some pilots DO like hearing themselves via side tone prior to PTT and may be doing it for that subtle reason instead of a true transmit VOX.

Way too much chance of turning the anti-VOX too low/mic gain too high, and continuously transmitting wind noise or other continuous background noise.

If I open the window on the 182, I have to crank the manual squelch on my VOX based intercom circuit way up. Or I have to listen to wind noise in my mic continuously. But it isn't transmitting over the Comm radio selected, unless I key it.

I bet a lot of people just say "Uhhhh" to hear their intercom VOX break squelch and hear their own voice, and then key the Comm radio while still saying it.

Of course, pilots do it so much that it's become cliche and is the funniest part of Glen Quagmire's appearances at his job, on Family Guy. ;)

Giggity. :)

I have a number of controller friends and they are pretty much split on preference.

Back