Initial CFI checkride endorsements...

SinkorSwim

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
HFC1969
http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org...program/media/CFI ENDORSEMENTS_10-13-2011.pdf

Can someone explain these 5 please? Are there really 5 endorsements needed? I get the spin..

INITIAL FLIGHT INSTRUCTOR ENDORSEMENTS

1. Endorsement for aeronautical knowledge: CFR 61.185(a)(1) & (2) (for aircraft category/class) rating [FONT=CAOJEH+Arial,BoldItalic,Arial][FONT=CAOJEH+Arial,BoldItalic,Arial]or [/FONT][/FONT]CFR 61.185(a)(1) & (3) (for instrument/category) rating [FONT=CAOJEH+Arial,BoldItalic,Arial][FONT=CAOJEH+Arial,BoldItalic,Arial](state which rating[/FONT][/FONT])
[FONT=CAOJEJ+Arial,Arial][FONT=CAOJEJ+Arial,Arial]I certify that Mr./Ms. has received and logged ground training required by CFR 61.185(a)(1) & (2) [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=CAOJFL+Arial,Italic,Arial][FONT=CAOJFL+Arial,Italic,Arial]or [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=CAOJEJ+Arial,Arial][FONT=CAOJEJ+Arial,Arial]CFR 61.185(a)(1) & (3) ([/FONT][/FONT][FONT=CAOJFL+Arial,Italic,Arial][FONT=CAOJFL+Arial,Italic,Arial]state which rating[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=CAOJEJ+Arial,Arial][FONT=CAOJEJ+Arial,Arial]) in preparation for the flight instructor (aircraft category/class) rating [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=CAOJFL+Arial,Italic,Arial][FONT=CAOJFL+Arial,Italic,Arial]or [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=CAOJEJ+Arial,Arial][FONT=CAOJEJ+Arial,Arial](instrument/category) rating. ([/FONT][/FONT][FONT=CAOJFL+Arial,Italic,Arial][FONT=CAOJFL+Arial,Italic,Arial]state which rating[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=CAOJEJ+Arial,Arial][FONT=CAOJEJ+Arial,Arial])
S/S [date] J.J. Jones 987654321CFI Exp. 11-30-2006
[/FONT]
[/FONT]2. Endorsement for flight proficiency: CFR 61.187(b)(1,2,3,4,5,6, or 7) ([FONT=CAOJEH+Arial,BoldItalic,Arial][FONT=CAOJEH+Arial,BoldItalic,Arial]state which category/class[/FONT][/FONT])
[FONT=CAOJEJ+Arial,Arial][FONT=CAOJEJ+Arial,Arial]I certify that I have given Mr./Ms. the flight instruction required by CFR 61.187(b)([/FONT][/FONT][FONT=CAOJFL+Arial,Italic,Arial][FONT=CAOJFL+Arial,Italic,Arial]state which category/class[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=CAOJEJ+Arial,Arial][FONT=CAOJEJ+Arial,Arial]) and find him/her competent to pass a practical test on those areas of operation.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]3. Endorsement for spin training: FAR § 61.183(i)(1) and (2)
[FONT=CAOJEJ+Arial,Arial][FONT=CAOJEJ+Arial,Arial]I have given Mr./Ms. flight training in stall awareness, spin entry, spins, and spin recovery techniques in an (airplane/glider) ([/FONT][/FONT][FONT=CAOJFL+Arial,Italic,Arial][FONT=CAOJFL+Arial,Italic,Arial]state which category[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=CAOJEJ+Arial,Arial][FONT=CAOJEJ+Arial,Arial]), and he/she has demonstrated instructional competency in those maneuvers as required by CFR 61.183(i)(1) and (2).
[/FONT]
[/FONT]4. Endorsement to certify completion of prerequisites for a practical test: CFR 61.39(a)(6)
[FONT=CAOJEJ+Arial,Arial][FONT=CAOJEJ+Arial,Arial]I have given Mr./Ms. flight instruction in preparation for the (type of practical test) practical test within the preceding 60 days and find him/her competent to pass the test and to have satisfactory knowledge of the subject areas in which the applicant was shown to be deficient by his/her airman written test, in accordance with CFR 61.39(a)(6).
[/FONT]
[/FONT]5. Courtesy endorsement to verify recommending instructor’s qualifications to provide ground and flight training for an initial flight instructor applicant: CFR 61.195(h)(1)(i) & (2) (for part 61 applicants) [FONT=CAOJEH+Arial,BoldItalic,Arial][FONT=CAOJEH+Arial,BoldItalic,Arial]or [/FONT][/FONT]CFR 61.195(h)(1)(ii) & (3) (for part 141 applicants)
[FONT=CAOJEJ+Arial,Arial][FONT=CAOJEJ+Arial,Arial]I certify that I meet the flight instructor qualifications necessary to provide ground and flight training for an initial flight instructor applicant, as required by CFR 61.195(h)(1)(i) & (2) [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=CAOJFL+Arial,Italic,Arial][FONT=CAOJFL+Arial,Italic,Arial]or [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=CAOJEJ+Arial,Arial][FONT=CAOJEJ+Arial,Arial]CFR 61.195(h)(ii) & (3). ([/FONT][/FONT][FONT=CAOJFL+Arial,Italic,Arial][FONT=CAOJFL+Arial,Italic,Arial]select which applies[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=CAOJEJ+Arial,Arial][FONT=CAOJEJ+Arial,Arial])

:confused:
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

The first four elements must be covered, but some of them can be combined into a single endorsement if the instructor constructs it carefully. #3 is normally given at the same time as the spin training, so that one is usually separate and done much earlier. #'s 1, 2, and 4 are often combined into one at the time the instructor makes the recommendation for the practical test.

The fifth is not required by regulation -- just a "courtesy", but could be combined with 1/2/4 if you want to put it in. The statement in the document linked in the post above mine that this endorsement is required by 61.195(h) is not correct -- there is nothing in that paragraph about endorsing the trainee's log as to the qualifications of the instructor who gave the training. And if you took that seriously, every single instructor who gave any required training towards that rating (especially the one who did the spin training), would have to do that same endorsement. As the FAA document quoted in the first post says, that endorsement is merely a courtesy, not a requirement.

Last edited:
That's what make pre-printed endorsementt lables so popular.

The also help create the non-thinking robotic endorsing not-knowing-or-caring-what-you're-signing mind-set typical of today's modern instructor.
Yep. I said that. Take it to heart. Study the words of the regulations embedded in the printed endorsements so that you can create your own with your own words because you know what you're talking about.

Last edited:
Looks about right to me.

#5 not needed though.

Also lil FYI, when doing spin training in a 172, never tell the applicant after only a 3/4 rotation spin to "try it again and dont be a *****" that tends to be good for a real 6 or so rotation spin, good stuff lol

Only recommended 1 for the CFI, fun stuff.

The also help create the non-thinking robotic endorsing not-knowing-or-csring-what-you're -signing mind-set typical of today's modern instructor.
Yep. I said that. Take it to heart. Study the words of the regulations embedded in the printed endorsements so that you can create your own with your own words because you knwhat you're talking about.

Very true....

Back