Inexpensive gps install for certified aircraft?

Mafoo

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Mafoo
So as the numerous threads I have started of late suggest, I am looking to buy a plane. However, my price point is low, this means I might end up with a warrior II with no GPS. What options do I have to install a GPS unit in such an airplane, and what would it cost?

the aircraft I am training in has a 430 in it, and I like that unit. I suspect that's a pricy option. Is there anything at about the same capability for less (maybe not garmin)?

I have an iPad, and that works, but I like the instruments being tied to the GPS. It makes for fast radio switching, and lookup, and i like the indicator being in my heading instrument, like vor.

Any ideas to look into?

Thanks! :)

So as the numerous threads I have started of late suggest, I am looking to buy a plane. However, my price point is low, this means I might end up with a warrior II with no GPS. What options do I have to install a GPS unit in such an airplane, and what would it cost?
Depends on how it's done. If you have both the skill and an A&P willing to supervise you, you can probably do it yourself for little more than the cost of materials. However, the percentage of pilots who have the skill to perform such an installation is rather small. Typical costs for professional installation a GPS in a plane like that Warrior II are on the order of $2-4K above the cost of the equipment.

the aircraft I am training in has a 430 in it, and I like that unit. I suspect that's a pricy option. Is there anything at about the same capability for less (maybe not garmin)?
No, there is not. The GNS430 is pretty much sui generis.

Any ideas to look into?
There are many options available to obtain IFR GPS capability, but much depends on what's already in the plane.

What you'll need:
430W used, probably about $5-6K
Annunciator (required)
wiring & tray

And as Ron pointed out, probably $2-3K installation. Depending what's currently in the airplane it may need to be removed, additional wiring removed/added, tie it into the intercom for the radios, and so on.

This assumes, of course, that you'll be pursuing your Instrument rating and will use it on a regular basis.

Otherwise, that $9K will buy an awful lot of avgas...

You forgot a new OBS. $1200. Less used if you can find one.

The 430W has built in annunciators if its mounted in the pilot's view per the FAA's requirements.

11.5" from the right side of the six-pack, as best as I can tell from the gobledeegook I've read.

Depending on the condition of the wiring and whether or not things need to be moved, things may need new wiring harnesses.

Don't forget there's an antenna to install on top too.

Ebay has a few King KLN89's and 94's. Those are way cheaper. Or how about a used portable like a 496 for the time being? If I owned a plane without a GPS, I would get a portable and still use my iPad.

For flying VFR, I'd just stick with the iPad personally. For IFR that 430W is quite juicy...

The Garmin 155XL is a great first+1/2 generation GPS. Not very intuitive software, but like everything else, it's what you get proficient in.

If I were strictly VFR, I'd much rather have a GPSMAP 496. They have VASTLY more information and presented in a superior interface. Can be had on eBay for $850 all day long. 496 is good on the water as well, with bluechart chips.

The 155XL is also discontinued. No factory support from Garmin. If it breaks, you get to keep both pieces. ;)

It can't be WAAS upgraded, do it'll never fly any LPV approaches, so about all it's good for is replacing an ADF and enroute direct routings.

Very cheap, but you'll get what you paid for and still spend $1000 to have it installed.

We considered it with our DME dead and decided the minimum that would not be throwing money away would be a 430W or 400W.

Wait, did you put inexpensive and certified in the same post? :)

For VFR, I'd go with the portables such as The Garmin 696, which has dropped significantly in price, or the new 7XX series. I previously owned the Garmin 296 & 496.......but much preferred the graphics of the larger 696. The 696 puts I-pad devices to shame, as far as readability in sunlight. There is just no comparison here. The resolution & graphics of the newer Garmins make the 430 series look like they're very old. And that's because they are. The resolution of the 430's was behind the times when the Garmin 296 portable came out. And that was a long time ago! As to the old Bendix Kings, etc.............yuck! I'd never bother with that junk!

L.Adamson

Back