Indications of pilot overload

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
This would make an interesting study... was it just this guy, or could readback errors and transmission clipping be scientifically demonstrated to be indicative of imminent pilot overload? If it could be automatically detected, perhaps it could be used somehow to alert either controllers or the pilot to slow down and pay attention.

NTSB: DEN05FA126

Response delays and readback errors were noted in the pilot's communications. The pilot incorrectly read back an altitude clearance and an altimeter setting provided by Denver Air Route Traffic Control Center (ARTCC), and was corrected twice by a controller before reading back the clearance correctly. Later, the pilot failed to respond to a clearance issued by the Denver Terminal Radar Approach Control (TRACON) facility, when instructed to descend, intercept the Runway 35R localizer, and join the approach. Four seconds after the clearance was issued, the pilot stated, "Say again, sir." The controller repeated the intercept clearance with an adjusted heading. The pilot did not respond, but the airplane did begin to turn in the appropriate direction. After 6 seconds, the controller asked, "November five sierra golf, did you get any of that?" The pilot responded, "ah, give me..." After another 8 seconds, the controller issued a new clearance, which the pilot correctly acknowledged.

Decreased coordination between the pilot's keying of the microphone and the timing of his speech was noted during the arrival and approach phases of the flight. Clipping was evident in 5 of the pilot's last 13 radio transmissions. By comparison, clipping rarely occurred during earlier phases of the flight.

In my experience, both as an instructor and as the overloaded pilot, yes, that hypothesis sounds right. However, I'm not sure we have yet the necessary technology to implement your idea.

Ron Levy said:
In my experience, both as an instructor and as the overloaded pilot, yes, that hypothesis sounds right. However, I'm not sure we have yet the necessary technology to implement your idea.

I agree we don't have the technology. As a pilot, however, if you recognize you're having trouble formulating proper timely replies, perhaps the best reply becomes our old "Standby", and then focus on going back to "fly the airplane". "Communicate" is at the end of the list.

We have to be our own "detector".

Troy Whistman said:
As a pilot, however, if you recognize you're having trouble formulating proper timely replies, perhaps the best reply becomes our old "Standby", and then focus on going back to "fly the airplane". "Communicate" is at the end of the list.

We have to be our own "detector".
I quite agree.

I suspect that many controllers already recognize and adapt to such signs. Of course, the adaptation might be to send the guy the long way around because he's annoying, but I'd suspect they'll try to keep things simple, even if it means a delay for the pilot instead of giving a complex clearance at rapidfire pace. There may be some value in an educational program for controllers indicating that this is a warning sign and to coddle such pilots instead of adding to their work load or stress level.

I suspect this pilot already knew he was in over his head and getting overloaded. At least, it's always pretty obvious to me when I start getting behind the airplane and behind the situation. It's a matter of good pilot judgement to know when you're getting in over your head and to try to do something about it. The first item is, as Ron said, "standby". Other options may be ask for help or perhaps to ask for a delay to your approach so you can get yourself organized or deal with whatever else may have been distracting him in the cockpit. I'm not an IR pilot, so I'm not sure how one would do that. When I've been flying VFR and needed time to think, I've just put myself into a shallow turn and hung out while I got sorted before resuming my flight. Is there an IR equivalent? I would guess that a holding pattern may be a fair amount of work and may not make things better.

Chris

Seems to me like he did kinda sorta say the equivalent of "standby".

At 2016, the controller instructed the pilot to turn left to a heading of 010 degrees to join the localizer for runway 35R, and descend to and maintain 8,500 feet. The pilot asked the controller to repeat the instruction. The controller then instructed the pilot to turn to a heading of 360 degrees, descend and maintain 8,500 feet. The pilot did not respond, and the controller asked if the pilot received the clearance. The pilot responded, "Give me a minute."
cwyckham said:
Other options may be ask for help or perhaps to ask for a delay to your approach so you can get yourself organized or deal with whatever else may have been distracting him in the cockpit. I'm not an IR pilot, so I'm not sure how one would do that.
You could ask for a hold, which on second thought might cause more stress for some pilots than it relieves. Or you could tell ATC you're not set up yet and ask for delaying vectors. I use that trick often in the sim when they're trying to rush me through something.

Ron Levy said:

I think you're right in that we don't have the technology in place, but I believe we "Have" the technology. Digitally it would be simple, but even in analog, it would take nothing more complicated than a coulting tube. Sperry Rail Service (same Elmer Sperry from Sperry Gyros and Sperry computers, kinda a brilliant guy) has used this method for their "Green Boxes" for signal logic to the pens for near 3/4s of a century. All it needs to do is kick off at a modulation threshold. When it doesn't see a response in a certain time, it starts marking. If it marks enough times in a given parameter, it kicks a signaling device of choice. Really not difficult.

I'm not so sure it's necessary though, although at an overworked station it might make a catch every now and then that the controller didn't catch on their own. For the most part, I think controllers are pretty adept people, and the human mind works in this capacity better than a computer would because the human mind can aslo clue in to vocal inflections and irregularities in phraseology that would be much more difficult even digitally and nearly impossible in analoge (also voice stress monitoring is done in both). Personally, I think the money would be better spent elsewhere, but if the "tape" ever goes digitally processed, it might be woth the time to put in a bit of extra code to trigger an alert.

How to anticipate and thus avoid those breathless, sphincter tightening situations... there is the trick. Experience is helpful - and lots of reading - here, ntsb reports etc has really helped me to foresee some of these.

Back