Increasing the range of a wireless network

Don Jones

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
DJones
OK Guru's, Probably been discussed before, but I can't find it. I need to be able to access my wireless network between two buildings about 100 yards apart. What do I need? I have tried a simple range expander without luck. Would some sort of directional antenna be in order or would I have to go with a roof mounted directional radio like the wireless internet co's use.
Ideas anyone??
Don

OK I confess when my server was down I was desperate to get some time-critical info off the mail server, so I started walking around the perimeter in a desperate hunt for a signal, finally found one with one bar (a very weak signal) that would not allow me to receive messages. It said 'connected'.... but not enough juice to load anything. At this time, I was on the porch, the morning after a party. On the table next to me was a large metal wash basin that I used to keep beer on ice during the party. The old light bulb was on, and bright that morning - I sat the laptop inside the tub (which I had put on its side), and I 'pointed' the tub's open end at the source of the signal. BINGO; 2 bars and the email starts racing in!

...can't fool that ol' country boy for long, can ye?

Let'sgoflying! said:
On the table next to me was a large metal wash basin that I used to keep beer on ice during the party.
And what happened to the three beers left over from the party?????

:rolleyes: :rofl: :goofy:

-Skip

Back