Incident Reporting?

fukhar

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Fukhar
hello,

i had an engine out yesterday on a 172 at 9500. luckily i was close to a military airfield with a 14000 long runway so i declared an emergency with the approach control and made it safely.

i am of indian nationality, which raised many problems as far as landing in a military base. i was questioned for hours by both the air force investigation unit and the FBI, but that was their protocol whenever foreign nationalities are involved.

they cleared our information and let us go obviously. my next question is, should i report this incident to anyone else such as the FAA? if i am not mistaken, there is a very specific list of incidents that require reporting for airplanes under 12,500 lbs mtow such as in flight fire or control malfunction. neither was the case, so the question remains - should i report this, and to who?

thank you!

Short answer - no, you don't need to report to anyone unless it's one of the situations that requires a report to the NTSB (AIM 7-6-2), or if the ATC facility who helped you out requests a report. Consider filing a NASA form, though: http://asrs.arc.nasa.gov/.

Also, well done getting your plane on the ground.

Short answer - no, you don't need to report to anyone unless it's one of the situations that requires a report to the NTSB (AIM 7-6-2), or if the ATC facility who helped you out requests a report. Consider filing a NASA form, though: http://asrs.arc.nasa.gov/.

Also, well done getting your plane on the ground.

Actually there are many other regulations that require reporting of an accident depending on the situation but you covered the main one ;)

I always thought it strange that there was no requirement that I'm aware of for part 91 operators to report an accident or incident to the FAA. On the other hand the NTSB's first call is to the FAA.

Last edited:
Not to get off topic, but do you know what caused the engine failure?

Fukhar,

Mind telling us what military airfield it was?

Congrats on the successful outcome. I hope that never happens to yours truly. Did you ever get the Skyhawk back out in one piece?

Back