In vicinity of Baltimore next week

Matthew

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Matthew
I'll be near Ft Meade for a couple days next week.

I expect, like most business trips I've been on, that I'll get to work early and stay late.

I can't quite get a feel for how near/close places like DC or Annapolis are. Any ideas or suggestions on things to see or do in the couple of hours I might have in the evenings?

Thanks,
Matthew

Well, with the evenings, the Smithsonian is probably out.

Ft. Meade is about 45 mins either way, via MARC train, from Baltimore or DC. Annapolis, I think you'll need a car.

In Baltimore, there is the inner harbor - particularly the Aquarium. Avoid the science center, it sucks.

In DC, there is, well, DC.

We also have a number of POAers in the area - potentially a dinner meeting somewhere could be arranged.

I will have a car.

I was just thinking about the last time I was there, it was day 1 of the bombing of Baghdad during Gulf War I. An interesting time to be in that part of the country.

All kinds of stuff to do in DC in the evenings.

What do you like? Arts? Entertainment? Galleries? Lectures? Sports?

A lot of turista stuff closes in the evenings, but a lot is still open. I will tell you that the Korean War memorial is stunning after dark.

If you like sports, for example, Bowie is not all that far from you - they have a minor league baseball team. Cheaper than the major league teams (Orioles/Nationals), and IMHO a lot more fun.

Some galleries are open some evenings of the week in DC. There's live music at various places almost every evening.

etc. etc.

I'd really like to get to the monuments, the Korean War monument is something I'd like to see. I remember watching a news broadcast right after it opened, they filmed it at dawn, in the fog. I can't really describe how it looked. Stunning is the word you used, and I'd have to agree.

I just doubt I'll end up with much time to do anything, though, but thanks for the suggestions. Sometimes these whirlwind trips are OK, get in-work 16 hr days-get out, but sometimes I'd like to have just a few spare hours for things like this.

How far, distance & time, would it be to get to the monuments from Ft Meade? How about the inner harbor?

Ft. Meade to the Baltimore Inner harbor is about 20 minutes. Its a straight shot up 95 to 395.

Back