In the "What was he thinking?" department...

gibbons said:
If you've ever flown in the Rockies around Montrose, you know how uninviting the terrain is. Get-There-itus can be a real killer. This pilot was very, very lucky.

http://www.montrosepress.com/articles/2005/02/18/local_news/1.txt

"He called the first little snow cave Motel 6. Then he dug a bigger one and called it the Holiday Inn."

It sounds like he was able to keep a sense of humor through the ordeal. I thought the article was well-written. He is truly a lucky guy.

Could it have been a failed attempt of "Suicide by Airplane" or just an extremely lucky pilot?
Gary

Darwin Candidate.

Just think, he's hit our insurance pool twice. :mad:

$1.4 Million in debt. Explains why he was in a turboprop the first time and a C172 this time.

Perhaps the FAA will suggest some additional training......

Chip

I have doubts about being that lucky myself, not once but twice. No way I would have done anything but turn around and try to get the heck out of there.

Standard rate for 1 minute beats flying into one of those REALLY hard clouds in the mountains. ;<)

Jim G

Just hit “last post” for funzzies and found this at the bottom of the stack. I find it interesting reading stuff like this. Despite not filing a flight plan, getting iced up, crashing in a place even a helicopter pilot wouldn’t attempt to land, and the ELT actually saved his bacon.

Mark Young, Montrose County coroner and a pilot himself, spotted Thurner from a Civil Air Patrol plane at 3:45 p.m. Thursday, almost a full day after Thurner's 3 p.m. Wednesday crash.

The Sheriff's Posse and search and rescue members were called in. Young, who is a member of the Sheriff's Posse, said teams conducted a ground search in the Dave Wood Road area.

Is "The Sheriff's Posse" an official thing in that part of the country? It must be since it is capitalized...

"We finally spotted him. He was waving to us, so we knew he was alive."

This kind of crack medical diagnosis is why it is invaluable to have a coroner lead the search and rescue efforts!

Back