In Praise of Chocolate Mint

RJM62

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geek on the Hill
Of all the plants that I planted last year on my slope that I hate mowing, chocolate mint was the clear winner in survival percentage, growth rate, erosion-proofing, deer-resistance, and politeness.

The deer munched on the junipers, perhaps not knowing that they're not supposed to like it; the creeping phlox is slower growing, had maybe a 75 percent survival rate, and doesn't generate as strong a root system; the sage and thyme survived, but have poor soil-holding properties; and the dead nettle doesn't care for the sun.

Chocolate mint, on the other hand, excelled in all areas:

• Strong, fibrous rhizomes hold the soil.
  • Rapid growth rate.
  • Smells nice.
  • Deer and other vermin hate it.
  • Not unattractive.
  • Doesn't grow very high. Maybe 10 inches, at the most.
  • Aggressive, but not rude. It prevents grass growth by shading the ground, but doesn't choke other plants whose stems enable them to grow higher than the mint.
  • Makes a nice, relaxing tea.
  • Doesn't complain about the poor soil, the rocks, excess moisture, too-little moisture, or the short growing season. It's very agreeable.
  • Easy to grow. Basically stick a piece in the dirt, and it grows.
So this year's strategy is to go with chocolate mint as the dominant ground cover, with taller, flowering plants scattered throughout: sage, foxglove, lavender, catnip, and whatever else happens to strike my fancy. I've planted 24 more chocolate mint cuttings, basically sticking one wherever nothing else will grow.

The surviving phlox, junipers, dead nettle, and so forth can stay, too. If they prove their worth, I'll even tame back the mint to give them some space. In fact, one of the phlox plants saw me planting the mint, and decided it would be a good time to start flowering. That plant is smarter than the average phlox.

For the shady area by the end of the driveway where nothing will grow, I've spoken to an expert, and she suggests that it would be a safe place to plant Vinca minor. There's really no place for it to encroach on in that particular location. I'm still undecided and plan to seek a second opinion. It can get pretty invasive, and I wonder about the seeds spreading.

-Rich

Last edited:
Chocolate Mint looks nice.

I might try some of that in the wet and bare areas in my back yard. I hoep the dogs don't try to eat it.

Hmmmm. Now you got me wanting a bowl of ice cream (Chocolate mint of course).

The problem with chocolate mint (actually, most mint) is it grows like crazy and creeps outside the garden, through brick, metal, and other deterrence you might use to keep it isolated. But run a mower over it, and all you can smell is the mint.
I also like the lemon mint.

Back