In NZ, 645 AM Monday, having a great time

woodstock

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iTravel
Hi all

the weather is springlike! folks were in shorts and tees y'day - this is the south island. nice change from DC weather. longest trip I've been on yet - 30 hours door to door. wow. I think at least 300 99s are here... already have a few dozen photos from yesterday.

question for anyone, I figured this may be faster than trying to get an answer from Sprint.

my phone charger for some reason isn't set up for international electricity. it's weird b/c it is a brand new phone and all electronic stuff I've bought lately has a charger that can be used anywhere (it converts). This phone is set up for international usage, it's a tri-band. it works over here which is great so my family can get in touch with me if need be.

the charger says "120 volts, 60 HZ" (or whatever). it's 240 here. will I fry my phone if I plug it in? I am thinking I might...

it makes no sense, my laptop, ipod, and camera all have dual chargers built right in. dunno why a new phone would not?

thanks!

I can't say I know the answer to your question but glad you made it safely. Hope your LA experience was good. That's quite a hike (30 hours). Wouldn't you have liked to take your GA plane with you?
While you're there, I hope you get some flight time. From what I hear, it's a beautiful country.

Hi Beth, if you're having a great time, why are you up at 6:45 AM? (Kidding.....:p ).

Don't plug the phone or charger in. Check with the place you're staying, they may have a voltage converter you can borrow (they're probably used to us pesky Yanks). If not, either pick up a converter or go to a local cell phone store and pick up a charger (any chance you brought a car charger with you? Should still be 12 volts in the autos....).

Have a great trip, put some pics up when you get back!

Beth,

It's my understanding that some companies are putting 120-v or 240-v only chargers in their equipment to discourage grey-market goods.

Don't plug it in. Either get a small 220/120 converter to use with it, or stop by your nearby mobile phone store and see if they can supply a correct one.

Enjoy your stay....

bill

Ahhhhhh, the south island is soooooo beautiful! You'll love it!

If you are in Christchurch, be sure to go to a restaurant called "Strawberry Fare". It specializes in desserts. A bit pricey, but out of this world, you won't regret it!

A good pizza/dinner joint is the "Dux De Lux", a standard hangout for the Antarctic crowd.

The International Antarctic Centre is pretty cool too. Been there many-a-time as a beaker... but the Haagelund tour there is pretty good, and if you're lucky you can see C-130's and C-141's taking off from the airport and heading for the Ice. (Right now, it's almost the season for "winfly" or the "winter fly-in"... which is C-5's and C-141's mostly. Not sure if your timing will be right to see any of this.)

I highly recommend Dunedin and the Otago Peninsula, if you're heading that way.... right next to the Albatross nesting santuary at the tip of the island is a little beach (I forget the name of it) where if you sit very still and quietly through sunset, huge flocks of little blue penguins will swim ashore and walk right next to you on their way to their nests in the hills. Unbelievable.

--Kath

wsuffa said:
Don't plug it in.
Good advice. Plugging it in will fry the charger, maybe the phone, too.

And look west! I am currently in Australia! Same great weather!

-Skip

T Bone said:
Hi Beth, if you're having a great time, why are you up at 6:45 AM? (Kidding.....:p ).

Don't plug the phone or charger in. Check with the place you're staying, they may have a voltage converter you can borrow (they're probably used to us pesky Yanks). If not, either pick up a converter or go to a local cell phone store and pick up a charger (any chance you brought a car charger with you? Should still be 12 volts in the autos....).

Have a great trip, put some pics up when you get back!

Definitely don't try it on 240 V, something will die (phone or charger or both). I second the notion of asking the hotel for a converter. If that doesn't pan out you ought to be able to buy a compatible charger or converter around there somewhere or have one shipped in.

715 PM Tuesday night!!

I did get a transformer from them, phone is happily charging away peacefully.

look what we did yesterday!!

ps. thanks for the tips. this trip has been amazing. fab weather, great people, beautiful sights. many pictures!

Beth:

Keep us up to date. Wonderful to see some of the great stuff you're doin!

Best,

Dave

Oooh, have a great time, Elizabeth, and have a maketu pie for me.

terry

woodstock said:
715 PM Tuesday night!!

I did get a transformer from them, phone is happily charging away peacefully.

look what we did yesterday!!

That amphibion on the water in your PIX sure has short wings !!!

Back