In front of the front!

Dave Siciliano

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Siciliano
Or how to watch 57HZ returns on the left and be VFR on the right!

On my trip up to Wisconsin Thursday, there was a large cold front moving west to east: our flight path was just to the east of the leading edge of it. For a couple hours, the leading edge clouds to the frontal system was on our left and it was VFR to the right. We stayed visual the entire flight. The first pic is out the canopy. It's a bit fuzzy as some haze was just in front of the clouds. The second shot is of the Garmin 396 with the weather depiction. On board radar was clear.

Pretty neat stuff!!

Best,

Dave

Attachments

• In front of the front May2407 001.jpg
    In front of the front May2407 001.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 31
  • In front of the front May 24 07002.jpg
    In front of the front May 24 07002.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 40
Dave, talkin bout skirtin the edge. Didn't the line keep pushing you East?

Dave, talkin bout skirtin the edge. Didn't the line keep pushing you East?

Actually Adam, my course kept me right in front of this for a couple hours! As we got north of EOS VOR, the top of the front was farther west. That gave us time to land at Rockford, top off and get into Portage and hanger the plane before the frontal system arrived there! Some pretty stiff winds in front of this puppy. I believe 28 gusting to 35. Was fine at Rockford with their long, wide runways--almost into the wind. At Portage it was more of an issue because there are buildings along side the runway which caused winds to swirl and get pretty choppy on short final.

Best,

Dave

Back