Importing a plane from Canada, eh?

gkainz

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Kainz
What kind of hoops must one jump thru to import an airplane from Canada?

Are there services or companies that one can use to walk thru the process, or is it something one can do themselves?

What kind of gotchas can one anticipate? I would assume if the plane was mostly factory stock, model sold originally in both Canada and US, that it wouldn't be a nightmare? Oh wait, we're talking about the government here ... my bad.

First question: Is the airplane in the "owner maintained" category?

There are a lot of issues besides "owner maintained". The Canadians allow alterations which the FAA would not, and it may not have all FAA-issued AD's complied with. Essentially, it will require a very thorough compliance inspection by a US A&P/IA or certified repair station before an FAA Airworthiness Certificate is issued. I've seen cases where the necessary work to restore the aircraft to compliance with its FAA type certificate, comply with various AD's, and certify the regulatory correctness of all maintenance performed by people not certified as "Aircraft Maintenance Engineers" (AME) by Transport Canada (their equivalent of A&P) cost more than the buyer paid the seller for the plane -- in one case, nearly twice the purchase price.

My suggestion is to engage the services of an expert in the field of re-importation of aircraft from Canada to look over the plane and its records very carefully before even making an offer.

I hope you get at least a 6 pack of Molson XXX with that!

That poor engine, 100 hours in the past 6 years.

And within five miles or so of Lake Ontario (assuming it's based at Downsville, the closest field I saw to Markham). I have no idea what the humidity levels are like that far north though...

Last edited:
Back