I'm proud of my student!

bbchien

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bruce C
Went to DEC today and loaded up his plate. TWO ILS 06s (tailwind), One LOC BC24, One VOR 18. After full fuel and departure, when he turned off the fuel pump at 3000 feet he said, "you know, the ammeter didn't move when I shut of the pump....."

The Cigarette lighter in his bird is intermittent. We levelled off, I climbed in the back with a VOM and the voltage at the terminals was only 11.8V. Recycled the field, then informed CMI approach that we were going to disappear. EVERYTHING off.

Flew VFR under the "C" having powered up the xponder and one com. Put it away, 11.6 Volts.

Check everything. It makes a difference!

Well Bruce, you have a Very Observent student there. And you must have taught him right, Congrats to both of you .
Dave G.

I only hope that I'm observant enough to catch some of the things that have popped up here recently! BZ to your student, and to you as the instructor!

Went to DEC today and loaded up his plate. TWO ILS 06s (tailwind), One LOC BC24, One VOR 18. After full fuel and departure, when he turned off the fuel pump at 3000 feet he said, "you know, the ammeter didn't move when I shut of the pump....."

The Cigarette lighter in his bird is intermittent. We levelled off, I climbed in the back with a VOM and the voltage at the terminals was only 11.8V. Recycled the field, then informed CMI approach that we were going to disappear. EVERYTHING off.

Flew VFR under the "C" having powered up the xponder and one com. Put it away, 11.6 Volts.

Check everything. It makes a difference!

:hairraise: Geez, Bruce, you can get a low voltage warning from any Garmin handheld when plugged in the lighter plug. I also get it from my JPI and EI annunciator. Tell him to get a voltage alarm!

Bruce has to be the only guy I know that has a VOM at the ready in his flight bag...

Kid did good! You're right to be proud. :yes:

:hairraise: Geez, Bruce, you can get a low voltage warning from any Garmin handheld when plugged in the lighter plug. I also get it from my JPI and EI annunciator. Tell him to get a voltage alarm!
http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...kw=multimeter&kw=multimeter&parentPage=search
It's just an itty bitty thing in the bag.....
bbchien said:
The cigaretter lighter is his bird is intermittent....
He's getting an STEC 30 two weeks hence; the cig. lighter will get a look....

Last edited:
nice bruce. it sure is nice when they make you proud isnt it?

...when he turned off the fuel pump at 3000 feet he said, "you know, the ammeter didn't move when I shut of the pump....."
Of course, this statement was made after a few seconds' worth of contemplation...."Now, how in the heck did he get it to do THAT?!?!":goofy:

Good on him.

Fly safe!

David

Bruce has to be the only guy I know that has a VOM at the ready in his flight bag...

Kid did good! You're right to be proud. :yes:

He's got a decent set of wrenches in the plane, too.

It's another case of differences in environments. Being that I don't have nay autopilot, it wouldn't occur to me that I could those kind of in flight repairs before 1) flying the plane and 2) landing the plane.

Course, this is the guy who had an in-flight flood over the newly-installed avionics in IMC forcing electric shutdown and partial panel flying, and the family scrambling for the flashlight.

By the way, being a certified geek I know what a VOM is. I built a Heath VTVM from a kit in my wasted youth and have broken and lost many VOMs in my life. Sometimes on the job with the current VOM lost, I ended up having to do testing with a phone handset.

I want a no touch AC tester like Mike Holmes'. One can be had for $9.

I just found this:
http://www.ueitest.com/product-pet1.html

I WANT ONE, although not at the cost $20 to my door at present.

Attachments

• PET1 Web Manual.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
YOINKS -- great call by the student. The ammeter is not usually a highly-visible instrument. I'm very impressed.

Back