I'm getting so tired...

sba55

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
sba55
....of videos like this one.

It's even more frustrating that frequent fliers fall for this sort of propaganda. I bet that the airlines' "ATC Delay" (there isn't such a thing) was a pretty clever marketing move.

-Felix

I'm trying to figure out if you and I watched the same video. Airline marketing propaganda? This video is by Reason, a nonprofit free market think tank. I saw nothing wrong with it.

I'm trying to figure out if you and I watched the same video. Airline marketing propaganda? This video is by Reason, a nonprofit free market think tank. I saw nothing wrong with it.

+1. I have no idea what the OP is complaining about. Sounds like a good idea to me.

Free Market wants to let the airline industry run the ATC system.
The Airline's can't mak a profit flying airplanes.. and now they want to try to make a profit running the ATC system?

If the Airlines run the ATC system, and a "user fee" basis is established as in Canada, then the GA user will be forced out. Because the fee keeps going up.. Airlines have priority.. if you want a clearance cough up more $$.

I think the problem is that the video suggests there is not enough sky for the planes to fly in but the real problem is that there is not enough pavement for them to land on at the times they want to.

ATC delays are real, it's call Flow Control, but it is to specific airports and has to do with takeoffs and landings not automation of handoffs.

Joe

If the Airlines run the ATC system, and a "user fee" basis is established as in Canada, then the GA user will be forced out. Because the fee keeps going up.. Airlines have priority.. if you want a clearance cough up more $$.
To be entirely fair, small airplanes in Canada pay an annual fee but are not charged by the flight so it doesn't matter how many clearances they pick up. Airlines also don't have priority any more than they do in the US. We fly into some major airports in Canada and we are handled just like in the US. They don't put us at the back of the line or anything.

I'm trying to figure out if you and I watched the same video. Airline marketing propaganda? This video is by Reason, a nonprofit free market think tank.

Make that a "nonprofit hard-core pro-user-fees think tank" and you might be a little closer to the truth.

What's wrong with the video? Well let's see, they say early on that the problem is getting real-time position data on flights, not the lack of pavement or airline scheduling practices. They bag on small airports. They say we should privatize air traffic control.

I'm with Felix. :yes:

Look how good Lockheed is doing with flight service. That is the canary in the coal mine of what will happen when the ATC system is privatized. Look at Europe too. The local aviation magazine give out coupons for free landings. Why? Because each landing is charged a fee by the private ATC company. What to go do your currency flight you better be able to pay for your landings. Our system is far better. It is paid for by fuel tax subsidies and is fair to all the flights. Not just built for the part 121 ones. If the system is privatized you can probably kiss a lot of instrument approaches good by too. If there is no one paying to fly them then there is no reason for anyone to maintain them.

Back