I'm considering...

EdFred

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
White Chocolate
...throwing my hat in the ring to run for public office. But, no, nothing small like, county clerk. If you're going to go, go big right? OK, not THAT big, because that election isn't for another 3 years, and I'd be 4 months shy of the age requirement at inaugaration - or however you spell it. (Ooh, maybe I should use spell check in case my opponents want to dig dirt on me!)

Anyhow, this ADIZ crap has got me sort of steamed, even though flying is relatively new to me, and writing letters really doesn't do much, so I figure why not actually DO something about it. So, I've considered starting the ball rolling to run for Michigan's 3rd District in the US House of Representatives. Of course, I have like $0 that I'm willing to blow on this, so that will make it a little difficult, but I think that with 1 years worth of word of mouth, and getting my name plastered at all the FBO's in the area, and it not being a presidential election year, I might have a decent shot at getting, oh, 10% of the votes. LOL.

Let the questioning begin!
Oh, and admins, can you delete any previous posts that might be used against me at this time next year? :yes:

Ok: Someone want to correct the spelling mistake in the title of the thread??

Last edited:
Re: I'm condering...

Being the man who actually secured a deal to get a closed airport re-opened (!), it appears you are someone who can get things done. Your district would be well-served. Keep us posted if you continue down this destructive path!

ADIZ crap have you steamed? Why? It's just our wonderful government protecting us from the monsters under the bed! Hmmm. OK, I can understand steamed after all :)

Not that I'm the least bit cynical at all...

Any move to get decent people in government, I am all for it.

I'll send you a buck, Ed! You have my full support. :yes:

Let'sgoflying! said:
Any move to get decent people in government, I am all for it.

Does that mean I'm not elgible? LOL

dude - that's awesome. Good luck! If I lived up there, I'd research ya, and possibly vote for you!

N2212R said:
Vern Ehlers - (R) Been there 12 years.

Obviously, too long. Throw the bum out! (I know nothing about this guy, so it's nothing personal.)

I wonder if AOPA has anything in place to help pro-flying candidates? They certainly profile such candidates at election time. Why don't you ask, if you're a member?

Judy

N2212R said:
Oh, and admins, can you delete any previous posts that might be used against me at this time next year? :yes:
Why of course, future Congressman! We'd be more than happy to oblige - only you see that kind of work takes time and funding that we don't really have. If only there were some kind of government support for underfunded aviation websites to help with such tasks, we'd be able to have that done in NO time! ;)

judypilot said:
I wonder if AOPA has anything in place to help pro-flying candidates? They certainly profile such candidates at election time. Why don't you ask, if you're a member?

Judy

AOPA-PAC supports pro-flying candidates.

Maybe I should move into the 3rd district.... I'd be one vote for you.

Do we really HAVE to move to the 3rd district to vote there? I mean... so many people around HERE don't live where they vote. They like voting so much, they do it all day! ;)

Here is my number one rule for you to learn as a politician:
Do not feel like you have to fix every last person's problem.
Its just like your home budget. You have to decide what is most important and try to stick to the funds available.
This will mean losing votes - that is the major problem with our system, it perpetrates the problem of handouts.
Yes, you have to listen - but many times the right thing to do is say that 'this problem cannot be fixed, sorry'.

Greebo said:
Do we really HAVE to move to the 3rd district to vote there? I mean... so many people around HERE don't live where they vote. They like voting so much, they do it all day! ;)

Hey Chuck, I didn't know you lived in Chicago!

Missa

N2212R said:
Vern Ehlers - (R) Been there 12 years.
I left in 1999 but I don't remember Ehlers being that bad as a representative. I've spoken with him a few times. He's a physicist, which tends to ground him a little more than most (or used to, anyway).

I'm also a big pessimist when it comes to Washington. I swear that no matter what a person's intentions, once he/she gets to Washington, they become part of a crappy system that plays the same old games. Sad.

Let'sgoflying! said:
Its just like your home budget. You have to decide what is most important and try to stick to the funds available.
Excellent point, Dave! One I wish our elected officials would remember. There are a couple of referenda
(C and D) on the ballet here in Colorado showing they have completely forgotten that point. A previous bill - Tax Payers Bill of Rights - limited tax and spend and now the whining has escalated. Ref's C & D are trying to get them out of refunding overcollected taxes with all the associated gloom and doom of "the state is going bankrupt if we don't get to keep and spend this money!"
Make a budget within one's means and live it!

gkainz said:
Excellent point, Dave! One I wish our elected officials would remember. There are a couple of referenda
(C and D) on the ballet here in Colorado showing they have completely forgotten that point. A previous bill - Tax Payers Bill of Rights - limited tax and spend and now the whining has escalated. Ref's C & D are trying to get them out of refunding overcollected taxes with all the associated gloom and doom of "the state is going bankrupt if we don't get to keep and spend this money!"
Make a budget within one's means and live it!

Ive always thought if they overspend, the extra should come out of their personal funds.
Brings a whole new meaning to accountable representation.

Ed,

Go for it, bud! As I said in my email, Ehlers is a pilot and Chairs the House Aviation Subcommittee. He is supposed to be fighting this type of GA invasion. Unfortunately, he has either lost his drive or has been paid off.

He sent me a reply concerning a letter that I sent him pertaining to funding the FAA through GA user fees instead of fuel excise taxes or perhaps in addition to them. He has, more or less, accepted the GA user fee concept. He has definitely lost my vote.
Gary

ED for Congress 2008

N2212R said:
...throwing my hat in the ring to run for public office.
A couple of years ago when I was on a rant about something I told my wife I was going to run for U.S. Senate. "No one would vote for you.", she said. "Well, I'd get two votes... yours and mine." She looked at me out of the corner of her eye. "One vote.", she said.

Mine was a short political career. I hope you do better.

PS check closet for any hint of skeletons.
If there is even one tiny bone there the press hounds will out it.

N2212R said:
...throwing my hat in the ring to run for public office. But, no, nothing small like, county clerk. If you're going to go, go big right?

In all seriousness Ed don't write off the importance of "local " elected positions. Township supervisor, Mayor, councilman etc. These are the folks that have the most direct impact on you local airport.

BTW I'd vote for ya just because you flew to Wings on a whim.

drhunt said:
Ed,

Great idea but first we've got to upgrade your Cherokee to something that can better make all those long trips:

http://www.trade-a-plane.com/unprotected/specs/37353.html

And right there is the problem with Washington. Overkill! I don't need one of those. A Mooney would do me just fine.

Adam -

Local is fine, but really, I don't have any local problems. Plus my airport is in a different county than me so I'm no elgible to run there (but the airport is in the Congressional district I'd be representing - weird).

I think most of you know me as the type that pretty much says what he's gonna say with not a lot of regard for how I am viewed for it. This is my stance, and if that's not the most popular stance, oh well, it's what's right!

I fully don't expect to win, or even make it a close race, because I won't be on a party ticket. ( I doubt I could defeat Ehlers in the primary - though whoever wins that primary wins the district) But what I do want is to try and get people to realize there are some things that need to be done, and said, even if they aren't feel good policies. What happened to the America of the 50s?

Last edited:
I've always thought it would be cool to run for some little office here, and throw way more money at it then it deserves...like an Alderman or something. Have a friend run against me, and just smear the crap out of each other.

I think that a real politician could be taken down that way, because people would either remember my name, or my friends name, but the real politician would be SOL.

I can imagine a commercial that goes like:

"John Doe (or whatever friend runs against me) wears dresses and spits tobacco juice on the sidewalks of our beautiful city. He routinely does crack-cocaine and laughs about our tax dollars possibly going to pay his salary and support his habit. Is that the kind of person you want representing YOU!!

"I'm Nick Brennan, and I don't smoke crack-cocaine. I also don't chew tobacco and I've never worn a dress, even on Halloween. I'd be proud to represent you."

Paid for by the coalition to elect Nick Brennan.

And of course, my friend would run similar smear ads against me.

NickDBrennan said:
I can imagine a commercial that goes like:

"John Doe (or whatever friend runs against me) wears dresses and spits tobacco juice on the sidewalks of our beautiful city. He routinely does crack-cocaine and laughs about our tax dollars possibly going to pay his salary and support his habit. Is that the kind of person you want representing YOU!!

"I'm Nick Brennan, and I don't smoke crack-cocaine. I also don't chew tobacco and I've never worn a dress, even on Halloween. I'd be proud to represent you."

Paid for by the coalition to elect Nick Brennan.

And of course, my friend would run similar smear ads against me.

Nah, Nick. See? You aren't a politician. You gotta say it in politician style like Nixon did. Let me fix it.

"There are those who say that John Doe (or whatever friend runs against me) wears dresses and spits tobacco juice on the sidewalks of our beautiful city. They say he routinely does crack-cocaine and laughs about our tax dollars possibly going to pay his salary and support his habit. I am not one of those. Is that the kind of person you want representing YOU!!

"I'm Nick Brennan, and I don't smoke crack-cocaine. I also don't chew tobacco and I've never worn a dress, even on Halloween. I am NOT a crook! I'd be proud to represent you."

mikea said:
Nah, Nick. See? You aren't a politician. You gotta say it in politician style like Nixon did. Let me fix it.

"There are those who say that John Doe (or whatever friend runs against me) wears dresses and spits tobacco juice on the sidewalks of our beautiful city. They say he routinely does crack-cocaine and laughs about our tax dollars possibly going to pay his salary and support his habit. I am not one of those. Is that the kind of person you want representing YOU!!

"I'm Nick Brennan, and I don't smoke crack-cocaine. I also don't chew tobacco and I've never worn a dress, even on Halloween. I am NOT a crook! I'd be proud to represent you."
Nice - very subtle....that would work better!

Nick,

I don't think I'll be requesting your services as a campaign advisor. :D :dunno: :no:

Back