I'm baaaaack

Richard

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ack...city life
and you didn't even miss me (sniff).

I see AirBaker was "stuck" in Palm Springs (poor kid) by the same storm that had me stuck in my house or in the vicinity thereof. I've had three generators running F/T at three different projects since Monday late morning because power was out throughout much of the county. Unfortunately, one of those three sites was my own home. Another project is still under water and the owner has stopped work until he remedies the situation with his ins co.

Almost 300 trees knocked down in our little town with about 10 homes damaged, 3 beyond repair. One broken arm to a young man in town was the only casualty. Shivering in the cold night air totally soaked not being able to find your footing because of trees and power lines downed by the storm does not constitute a casualty, but there we were, along with many others in the same predicament. You think you're prepared but sometimes it becomes evident that you cannot adequately prepare for all scenarios or how those scenarios become layered upon one another.

Finally, yesterday morning came some peace as folks shut off their generators as the power was slowly restored. Still, I had no idea so many people had chain saws as they cut through all the fallen wood. Many homes still do not have power and we still do not have phone service a tree hit the repeater antenna which means we don't have cell either.

How fortunate that the nastier wx forecasted to follow that evening did not materilize. It's like it completely dissipated. That one storm was enough.

EDIT: I want to add that we received 11 inches of rain in less than 24 hours. A rancher I know further up the mtn got over 16 inches in the same time period. It's not the hardest I've seen it rain but it sure is a sight every time.

Last edited:
Welcome back Richard. Glad the storm moved out. I take it you werent able to hold that engine talk meeting you were talking about over new years?

Michael said:
Welcome back Richard. Glad the storm moved out. I take it you werent able to hold that engine talk meeting you were talking about over new years?
No, the wx moved in and everyone begged off. Dave S said he wasn't gonna' make it so that pretty much sealed if for me.

You're post reminds me, shortly before we lost pwr Monday morning I read a post on the red board from Dave saying he wasn't going (to PRb) and that he lost his father. Anyone hear that? I just got back on the 'net this aftn so I have been in a blackout all week.

Richard said:
You're post reminds me, shortly before we lost pwr Monday morning I read a post on the red board from Dave saying he wasn't going (to PRb) and that he lost his father. Anyone hear that? I just got back on the 'net this aftn so I have been in a blackout all week.
Not quite, thank God. His father is moving back to Dallas with him.

Joe

Areeda said:
Not quite, thank God. His father is moving back to Dallas with him.

Joe
That's good news!

BTW: you were the other one I was looking forward to meeting. You ever take the T-28 to Paso for mx? There is a very good facility there intimately familiar with your type bird.

Richard said:
BTW: you were the other one I was looking forward to meeting. You ever take the T-28 to Paso for mx? There is a very good facility there intimately familiar with your type bird.
Maybe we can meet for lunch one day. I'm always looking for an excuse to fly.

I get my mx done at C & J in Camarillo. They do a great job and have lots of new parts in stock. They move more T28s than anyone I know of.

Joe

Areeda said:
Maybe we can meet for lunch one day. I'm always looking for an excuse to fly.

I get my mx done at C & J in Camarillo. They do a great job and have lots of new parts in stock. They move more T28s than anyone I know of.

Joe
Don't let Spike see this. (emphasis mine)

Janruary 10th, SLO Vet's Hall @1830 hours. Av seminar featuring Wayne Handley, guest speaker. Topic: emergencies.

Vet's Hall is about 3 sm from the aprt but a ride is easily arranged. PM me if interested for this date. Late lunch at Spirit restaurant on me.

EDIT ALERT: original date in this post was the 15th which was in error. The correct date is the 10th, as shown.

Last edited:
Back