I'm an idiot (aka dropped my dip stick)

If you understand what is going on, what appears as "edge" you'll find is actually not as big of a risk as it seems. The main danger with gasoline is vapor and it has to be between LEL and UEL (Lower and Upper Explosive Limits, a reasonably thin range) to combust. If you have a breeze and an open topped bucket, the vapor hazard is minimal. The flash point for liquid gasoline is above the temp a cigarette burns at when not being dragged on.

Um, dude, I meant you were living on the edge by scaring old ladies into thinking you were blowing yourself up.

My dos centavos worth of contribution and the chance to get some humor out of the situation:

dipstick1.jpg

I used to clean parts outside at the carlot in a bucket of gasoline while smoking.... Really freaked this lady out when she told me that I shouldn't do that and I said "ok" and dropped the cig in the gas to put it out. I thought she was gonna have a stroke...:rofl::rofl::rofl:

That is awesome! I wish I could have been there to see that...

I would have pretended to drop it, and pretended to juggle it a little saying "oh sh*tttttt" then made sure it fell in the gas

Um, dude, I meant you were living on the edge by scaring old ladies into thinking you were blowing yourself up.

It's good to scare somebody into minding their own damn business. By the time I was 15, that's how old I was when I did it lol.... I was done fed up with busy body old ladies...JGFYs... Mind your own damn business you old bat. Not like she hasn't called the cops for noise on a saturday afternoon... I don't owe her a damned thing.

It was also like 18 degrees and 3 foot of snow and we're swapping engines and transmissions in the street over Christmas break.

It's good to scare somebody into minding their own damn business. By the time I was 15, that's how old I was when I did it lol.... I was done fed up with busy body old ladies...JGFYs... Mind your own damn business you old bat. Not like she hasn't called the cops for noise on a saturday afternoon... I don't owe her a damned thing.

Geez, I didn't say you owed her anything.

Sounds like I hit a nerve with Henning - women!!!

My friend showed me this rockin LED flashlight she had last nigh, this thing must have 90 LEDs and ran off 4 AA batteries. It was the first LED flashlight I saw that actually throws a beam.

For three years now we've been using LED flashlights that use a single one-watt LED that outperform ANY Maglite. Costco sold them in pairs for about $25. They use two AA batteries and those batteries last maybe four times as long as they would in a two-AA Maglite. Many LED lights use three AAA-batteries; bad deal, since those smaller batteries have much less life, cost double the price of AA batteries, and there are half again as many of them.

lamps1024.jpg

See the little yellow thing? One-watt LED. Some are three watts. Blinding, and almost none of that wattage goes into heat. In an incandescent bulb, 60% or more is lost to heat instead of light.

I have no idea why anyone would continue to use or buy incandescent lights. Or why automakers are still using incandescent bulbs in stop/turn/tail lights. Trucks and buses went to LEDs long ago. Mag is still selling incandescent lights, and ignorant folks are still buying them. They cost as much or more than an LED light and eat batteries for breakfast.

An LED light will continue to throw a white or pale blue beam until the batteries die. The light will get dimmer as the end nears, and won't go yellow as an incandescent light will, so you have to watch the brightness to judge battery condition.

Dan

That is awesome! I wish I could have been there to see that...

I would have pretended to drop it, and pretended to juggle it a little saying "oh sh*tttttt" then made sure it fell in the gas
When I was 12 or 13 one of my friends and I were in his 12ft wood rowboat at another friend's house. The other "friend" began shooting kitchen matches from an air rifle into the boat and one managed to ignite a small amount of gasoline floating on top of the water on the floor of the boat. My friend picked up a half full two gallon gas can and poured it on the fire putting it out. He later claimed he never even considered the possibility that pouring gasoline on a fire might make things worse.

Just caught up with this thread and thought I'd throw in 2 items. 1. Sunday while returning from Osh I stopped at Logansport for fuel. My partner and I as checking the calibration of the k-factor of our fuel flow gauge so we are carefully checking the fuel level at every stop. So here I am up on the wing in the 1.2 billion degree sun dipping the tank and sure enough the dip stick jumps from my hand at the precise angle needed to fall in to the tank. I said some bad words that I would not use on Sunday morning at home. after about 1/2 hour of messing around with various tools I was able to take a wire coat hanger and put a 90 degree bend in the end with about a 1 inch section and reach down in to the tank and slip the end of the coat hanger into the open end of the dip stick and very slowly bring it up to the filler neck so I could grab it. Needless to say I left checking the fuel to my partner for the rest of the trip.

item 2. while watching planes land at Osh I noticed a Cessna taxi in to the north 40 with a pitot cover flapping in the breeze. I am wondering just how he managed to keep his speed at 90 knots on the way from Ripon to Fisk without a air speed indicator.

Pitch + Power = Performance........... maybe the pilot knew what would give them 90kts?

My Dad used to tell me the story of a shop foreman he knew back in the early50s. When showing the new guys around the shop, he's put a jar lid full of gasoline on the shop floor. Every time they walked past it on the shop tour, etc. he'd flick a lit match into it... pfft... match goes out. So eventually they're walking past, old guy flicks a match into the gasoline and - WHOOF! Small mushroom cloud, and a couple ounces of gasoline are merrily burning in the middle of the shop.

He did this to illustrate a point. Maybe you can do something stupid and get away with it, and maybe even more than once. But that doesn't mean it's safe, and it doesn't mean you can ALWAYS get away with it.

Dad had something like 23 patents with his name on them over the years, many of them safety related. Doesn't mean I have not done some pretty dumb things, of course. But I'm working on it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back