I'm an idiot (aka dropped my dip stick)

kimberlyanne546

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Kimberly
Okay, as hard as I tried for this story to have a happy ending . . . well . . . it simply didn't.

Went flying today with my instructor for more check ride prep, including flying to an aiport where I will most likely be asked to perform short field landings during my checkride. Flight was so-so but that is for another thread.

So we get back to the flight school, de-brief, and I am all set to take the plane out again - to finish up my 1.2 hours of solo time. My plan was to fly around the pattern and work on my short and soft field landings. My instructor had another student, and when he arrived, they started talking and I went outside to my plane.

Even though I did a full pre-flight only a few hours before, we had flown the plane for 1.2 and I wanted to give it another check. The first thing that I normally do during my pre-flight, after removing the tie downs, lowering the flaps, and taking out the control lock - is climb up on top of both wings, with a dip stick, and check fuel levels.

So I get up on top of the left wing and it has plenty of gas - about 8 gallons (tank only holds 13). Assuming the other tank has roughly the same, this will be well over 2 hours of fuel and I am just staying in the pattern.

I climb down from the left wing, and climb up to the right wing. I uncap the tank, stick in my dip stick, go to pull it out and - bam! It slips through my fingers and falls deep into the tank!

What to do?

I rush back inside before my CFI has the chance to depart with his other student. The maintenance crew (3 techs) don't work weekends and the receptionist is not a pilot. I told him what happened and he said that he had my plane at 4pm with another student. I volunteered to get the keys to the hangar and go hunting for "a giant set of tweezers". He threw me the key and said "knock yourself out".

In the hangar, most of the tool boxes were locked up but I did find one with many drawers. In there was a gigantic pair of bent tipped needle nosed pliers with a blue rubber handle. I also found a giant long metal stick which I later discovered had something to do with a brake line (?).

I keep a tiny LED mag lite in my flight bag so I decided to simply climb up the wing with all tools and "feel around". I could not see ANYTHING except a 3-inch circle with my flashlight. Not good. I tried putting my eyeballs in there, shining the light in every direction, but the opening was soooo small I could not see a thing. Then I started poking around in all directions with the tools, but realized because of the angles they would not even go all the way in and so were semi-useless.

I went back under the plane to brainstorm. It was then I noticed the plane was parked on a slight hill, and the tanks were also sloping downhill, towards the flaps. My guess was the plexiglass tube slid all the way to the back.

I decided to ask my CFI for a ladder so I could spend more time on top of the wing fishing. I was having trouble with my second foot on the strut (no second foot hold) and felt like I might fall off. Didn't want to add injury to my stupid-ness.

He finds this giant ladder and instead of my idea (I could use the tow bar and turn my plane the other way and let gravity roll the tube into sight), he suggests I "shake" the tank so that perhaps I can grab it.

Imagine all those people sitting at the two-niner diner, outdoors on the patio, watching me go back and forth in between my plane and the hangar wondering what the heck. Then I get this HUGE ladder, climb up, bend over, and start rocking the wing with my upper body. Must have been like a hilarious comedy. Well, as I did this I could not figure out why the plane seemed farther and farther away.

I had never replaced the tie downs and it was rolling down the hill away from me! Only slightly but still, another chance for me to fall down. So I climb down, tie the plane down, climb back up and try a long wire my CFI gave me. This doesn't work either and now he is leaving with his other student.

The receptionist finally comes back and calls / pages BOTH maintenance guys. Neither answer so I go back out to the plane to juggle flashlight, wire, long stick, and pliers. Another man comes out just as I'm turning the plane around to try the gravity trick and says "Joe called, no big deal, just fly the plane, he'll get it out tomorrow, he sees this all the time." I didn't know what to say. I called my CFI and said I did NOT want to fly the plane - and he agreed.

So:

Yay for me making a go / no-go decision against the maintenance tech's advice

Boo for me making an idiot's mistake that forced my instructor and his next student to fly in the Piper instead of the 152. The receptionist told me she would not charge the other student more money since the 152 was out of commission, so that was nice.

I will of course call tomorrow to make sure my little plane gets out of surgery OK. No idea how those guys fish those things out, I never once did hear it or see it or feel it with my tools.

Kimberly

Have you considered taking up golf instead?:lol:

Okay, as hard as I tried for this story to have a happy ending . . . well . . . it simply didn't.

Went flying today with my instructor for more check ride prep, including flying to an aiport where I will most likely be asked to perform short field landings during my checkride. Flight was so-so but that is for another thread.

So we get back to the flight school, de-brief, and I am all set to take the plane out again - to finish up my 1.2 hours of solo time. My plan was to fly around the pattern and work on my short and soft field landings. My instructor had another student, and when he arrived, they started talking and I went outside to my plane.

Even though I did a full pre-flight only a few hours before, we had flown the plane for 1.2 and I wanted to give it another check. The first thing that I normally do during my pre-flight, after removing the tie downs, lowering the flaps, and taking out the control lock - is climb up on top of both wings, with a dip stick, and check fuel levels.

So I get up on top of the left wing and it has plenty of gas - about 8 gallons (tank only holds 13). Assuming the other tank has roughly the same, this will be well over 2 hours of fuel and I am just staying in the pattern.

I climb down from the left wing, and climb up to the right wing. I uncap the tank, stick in my dip stick, go to pull it out and - bam! It slips through my fingers and falls deep into the tank!

What to do?

I rush back inside before my CFI has the chance to depart with his other student. The maintenance crew (3 techs) don't work weekends and the receptionist is not a pilot. I told him what happened and he said that he had my plane at 4pm with another student. I volunteered to get the keys to the hangar and go hunting for "a giant set of tweezers". He threw me the key and said "knock yourself out".

In the hangar, most of the tool boxes were locked up but I did find one with many drawers. In there was a gigantic pair of bent tipped needle nosed pliers with a blue rubber handle. I also found a giant long metal stick which I later discovered had something to do with a brake line (?).

I keep a tiny LED mag lite in my flight bag so I decided to simply climb up the wing with all tools and "feel around". I could not see ANYTHING except a 3-inch circle with my flashlight. Not good. I tried putting my eyeballs in there, shining the light in every direction, but the opening was soooo small I could not see a thing. Then I started poking around in all directions with the tools, but realized because of the angles they would not even go all the way in and so were semi-useless.

I went back under the plane to brainstorm. It was then I noticed the plane was parked on a slight hill, and the tanks were also sloping downhill, towards the flaps. My guess was the plexiglass tube slid all the way to the back.

I decided to ask my CFI for a ladder so I could spend more time on top of the wing fishing. I was having trouble with my second foot on the strut (no second foot hold) and felt like I might fall off. Didn't want to add injury to my stupid-ness.

He finds this giant ladder and instead of my idea (I could use the tow bar and turn my plane the other way and let gravity roll the tube into sight), he suggests I "shake" the tank so that perhaps I can grab it.

Imagine all those people sitting at the two-niner diner, outdoors on the patio, watching me go back and forth in between my plane and the hangar wondering what the heck. Then I get this HUGE ladder, climb up, bend over, and start rocking the wing with my upper body. Must have been like a hilarious comedy. Well, as I did this I could not figure out why the plane seemed farther and farther away.

I had never replaced the tie downs and it was rolling down the hill away from me! Only slightly but still, another chance for me to fall down. So I climb down, tie the plane down, climb back up and try a long wire my CFI gave me. This doesn't work either and now he is leaving with his other student.

The receptionist finally comes back and calls / pages BOTH maintenance guys. Neither answer so I go back out to the plane to juggle flashlight, wire, long stick, and pliers. Another man comes out just as I'm turning the plane around to try the gravity trick and says "Joe called, no big deal, just fly the plane, he'll get it out tomorrow, he sees this all the time." I didn't know what to say. I called my CFI and said I did NOT want to fly the plane - and he agreed.

So:

Yay for me making a go / no-go decision against the maintenance tech's advice

Boo for me making an idiot's mistake that forced my instructor and his next student to fly in the Piper instead of the 152. The receptionist told me she would not charge the other student more money since the 152 was out of commission, so that was nice.

I will of course call tomorrow to make sure my little plane gets out of surgery OK. No idea how those guys fish those things out, I never once did hear it or see it or feel it with my tools.

Kimberly

Im pretty sure its too big to get sucked down the fuel lines, I think it would've been okay to fly.

Not a biggie, and by this time tomorrow it will be history. When it's "true confession" time, all of us can chime in with some stories that will rival yours for fumble-fingered ineptitude and creative solutions. Have you ever tried to deice an airplane with a hair dryer?

I know, right? I am such a crappy pilot I can't even do a PRE-FLIGHT without messing something up!!!

Not a biggie, and by this time tomorrow it will be history. When it's "true confession" time, all of us can chime in with some stories that will rival yours for fumble-fingered ineptitude and creative solutions. Have you ever tried to deice an airplane with a hair dryer?

I barely know how to use a hair dryer! I'm low maintenance, letting my long hair dry all by itself.

I would love to hear all your stories - can it be "true confession time" now?

Hmmm... I've done something like that. Apache fuel cap came apart and I dropped part in the tank. Apparently it happens all the time, since they had the exact tool needed to fish the piece out of the tank handy...

This is a great story! It doesnt surprise me that its a common thing.

I've never tried checking fuel with a dipstick. I either made sure it was full, or could see fuel level compared to tabs.

If i ever use a dipstick, I'll remember this story!

Fly the aircraft, half the trainers have at least 1 in there.

This is a great story! It doesnt surprise me that its a common thing.

I've never tried checking fuel with a dipstick. I either made sure it was full, or could see fuel level compared to tabs.

If i ever use a dipstick, I'll remember this story!

Yeah, another pilot told me that some low wings (ex: Pipers) have these "tabs" you are talking about, and other visual references, meaning you don't need anything other than your eyes to figure out how much fuel is in there.

Unfortunately, my little 152 is "bare bones" even down to the fuel tanks. No extras here!

Fly the aircraft, half the trainers have at least 1 in there.

Really? I was kind of wondering about this myself. There have been a few times the chain which connects the fuel cap to the wing has come off and I have re-attached it to the fuel cap by sticking my hand down inside the fuel, fishing it out, and threading the "s" part back through the fuel cap.

That always made me wonder what if BOTH sides came off and the thin metal chain went into the tank?

So you think Ed will let her help with the pre-flight to 6Y9?

Thats funny! I wonder what else youd find in a trainer if you completely dissassembled it.

The top cover comes off then the filler neck leaving a 6" hole in the top of the tank to fish out the stuff dropped.

I once got a C-150 tank from Omak Aircraft salvage and it had 4 dip sticks and a watch in it.

The worst thing you can drop into a fuel tank is a marble/ball bearing. think about it. it will block the fuel outlet.

I make our own dipsticks from aluminum sheet. They are tee-shaped, with the tee's crossbar resting on the filler neck. Calibrating the stick is the biggest hassle.

The tee-shaped stick not only can't fall into the tank, but it's made short enough that it doesn't quite touch the bottom of the tank. Bladder tanks, especially, don't care for being abraded by dipsticks.

Oh, and don't mess about with electric flashlights in the filler neck. Very few flashlights are certified as explosion-proof.

Dan

I make our own dipsticks from aluminum sheet. They are tee-shaped, with the tee's crossbar resting on the filler neck. Calibrating the stick is the biggest hassle.

The tee-shaped stick not only can't fall into the tank, but it's made short enough that it doesn't quite touch the bottom of the tank. Bladder tanks, especially, don't care for being abraded by dipsticks.

Oh, and don't mess about with electric flashlights in the filler neck. Very few flashlights are certified as explosion-proof.

Dan

This actually came up - a student in the flight school asked if my flashlight was LED since I'd be going in / near a large amount of fuel.

And I was keeping a tight grip on the flashlight so that too would not fall into the tank.

The top cover comes off then the filler neck leaving a 6" hole in the top of the tank to fish out the stuff dropped.

I once got a C-150 tank from Omak Aircraft salvage and it had 4 dip sticks and a watch in it.

The worst thing you can drop into a fuel tank is a marble/ball bearing. think about it. it will block the fuel outlet.

Great, the more I learn the more there is to fear from my fellow students' mistakes. Not that they keep marbles around but I'm sure a small round object COULD fall in and my biggest worry is that they would NOT report it, figuring no one would ever know it was them.

This actually came up - a student in the flight school asked if my flashlight was LED since I'd be going in / near a large amount of fuel.

And I was keeping a tight grip on the flashlight so that too would not fall into the tank.

THAT might have been something spectacular for the people watching you...

I remember a pilot asking what to do after adding oil to his airplane and realizing the ring of plastic that gets left when you unscrew the cap fell off into the engine.

Great, the more I learn the more there is to fear from my fellow students' mistakes. Not that they keep marbles around but I'm sure a small round object COULD fall in and my biggest worry is that they would NOT report it, figuring no one would ever know it was them.

Now you know the value of owning your own aircraft.

Many have a finger screen at the outlet, only a very determined rag might plug that up...not sure which a/c you have but we could find out how yours is configured. I have seen them before when a wing rocking revealed something rolling around inside, you drain or fly off the tank then there are tools you can grab them with. No biggie.

Attachments

• fuelsys.JPG
    fuelsys.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 393
I remember a pilot asking what to do after adding oil to his airplane and realizing the ring of plastic that gets left when you unscrew the cap fell off into the engine.

That must come out.

Now you know the value of owning your own aircraft.

You can say that again. However, that is not even a REMOTE possibility I'm afraid. But I may look for rental aircraft outside of my school once I become a pilot. I know there are newer / better planes out there and am slowly building a network of virtual pilot friends around here (online). This is through various websites and has provided me with insider information. You guys know who you are and thanks for the tips . . . .

Many have a finger screen at the outlet, only a very determined rag might plug that up...not sure which a/c you have but we could find out how yours is configured. I have seen them before when a wing rocking revealed something rolling around inside, you drain or fly off the tank then there are tools you can grab them with. No biggie.

You mean my shaking methods weren't just providing amusement for the lunch guests at my expense? Thank goodness.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back