Ils

Terry

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Terry
Hi All:

WAs flying from Hays, Kansas to Dodge City on Flight Sim.

On ILS for 14 I notice that the runway is 146*

Is my ILS dial set to 140* or 146*?

In other words do I set the runway number or the actual degree of the runway?

Thanks;

Terry

BTW> I found the runway and landed visually but this could mess you up on minimums.

:hairraise:

in a real airplane you can set the obs to any indication and the needle will still read properly on an ils.
I have never seen anyone set it to other than the inbound course however.

It does not matter what the OBS is set to on an ILS the CDI will alway read the same. It is not like a VOR. However, most people do take the time to set it to the inbound course of the ILS as listed on the approach plate.

smigaldi said:
It does not matter what the OBS is set to on an ILS the CDI will alway read the same. It is not like a VOR. However, most people do take the time to set it to the inbound course of the ILS as listed on the approach plate.

I'd set it to 146. If you don't have a bug on your DG it gives you a reminder of the no wind heading and you can adjust it to match the heading required to stay on the centerline. If you have a heading bug I'd just leave it on 146.

If you want to keep your procedures uniform, set it to the inbound course like you were flying a VOR approach.

lancefisher said:
I'd set it to 146. If you don't have a bug on your DG it gives you a reminder of the no wind heading and you can adjust it to match the heading required to stay on the centerline. If you have a heading bug I'd just leave it on 146.

I also set it to the inbound course along with my DG. To help with the wind drift correction if you are a /G airplane you can also add the GPS to your scan and see what you actual track over the land is. It should be the same as the inbound course to keep the needle centered.

smigaldi said:
I also set it to the inbound course along with my DG. To help with the wind drift correction if you are a /G airplane you can also add the GPS to your scan and see what you actual track over the land is. It should be the same as the inbound course to keep the needle centered.

Actually your probably could do the same if you were not a legal /G plane. What I meant by that was if you had a GPS on board.

Back