ILS with 3/8 mile visibility?

121.651 reads a landing may be made if the flight visibility permits and one, or more, of the required visual references are present. This presumes the RVR was at, or above, minimums when passing the FAF.
I guess I "guessed" right in the first place.:yes:

I emailed Jepp (thanks to aTerpster's info), and a gentlemen emailled me back with this explanation as to why, contrary to terps chg 23, there are so many Jepp ils cat 1 approach charts in the US with 3/8 vis on while the FAA charts have only 1/2.

and

The information on the Form 8260 source is valid.[/QUOTE],

though I'm not sure why he included that last statement because I don't think this form lists visibility in the form of statute miles but in RVR

He also stated:

So that means.....we can't expect the 3/8 to change to 1/2 in the near future....???

He is shining you on. The source document does not list any visibility value nor does the related AeroNav chart.

This is purely a Jeppesen issue. They elect to chart the visibility substitution value so when the TERPs table changed they were obligated to change all of these charts without any action on the part of the FAA.

I have made a similar inquiry using the two LAX east ILSs with 3/8. No answer so far.

I emailed Jepp (thanks to aTerpster's info), and a gentlemen emailled me back with this explanation as to why, contrary to terps chg 23, there are so many Jepp ils cat 1 approach charts in the US with 3/8 vis on while the FAA charts have only 1/2.

and

The information on the Form 8260 source is valid.[/QUOTE],

though I'm not sure why he included that last statement because I don't think this form lists visibility in the form of statute miles but in RVR

He also stated:

So that means.....we can't expect the 3/8 to change to 1/2 in the near future....???

Let's take two "3/8" ILS IAPs at KLAX. The last full amendments were June 30, 2011 (attached). The last FDC P NOTAM amendments were incorporated into the federal register on March 8, 2012. Seems like either of these amendment dates would have given them ample notice to update to current TERPs.

Attachments

• 8260_3 LAX ILS or LOC Rwy 6R, Amdt 12A.pdf
    90 KB · Views: 1
  • 8260_3 LAX ILS or LOC Rwy 7L, Amdt 7A.pdf
    109.6 KB · Views: 1
Back