Ignore wake turbulence?

The point is not in delaying, it's not communicating with ATC. Tell them you'll wait for one minute. This allows ATC to change their scheduling of other takeoffs and landings that are happening.

When you're given clearance for take-off, ATC is expecting the plane to take the runway and take-off. The wake turbulence warning they give is just that, a warning, and good information so if you decide as PIC that you'll wait, you can tell ATC.

"Cleared for immediate takeoff or hold short." "I'll wait." Safest option IMHO.

Bob Gardner

Why would anyone ignore wake turbulence!? I was taught over and over to be very cautious of it. My CFI, years ago was caught in it in an Astec, behind an airliner on take off, at BWI, went 90 degrees at a thousand feet, and just kept rolling it till upright. ( he flew a Pitts a lot) he admitted he was in a hurry as it was so hot in the airplane. Close call.

Me? Or him?

That was a statement to you, not about you.

Sorry for the ambiguity.

It's easy to read a post and not who it's from. The guy you responded to has a phonetically similar name -- and a virtually identical attitude -- to someone who was banned for trolling a few weeks ago.

The point is not in delaying, it's not communicating with ATC. Tell them you'll wait for one minute. This allows ATC to change their scheduling of other takeoffs and landings that are happening.

When you're given clearance for take-off, ATC is expecting the plane to take the runway and take-off. The wake turbulence warning they give is just that, a warning, and good information so if you decide as PIC that you'll wait, you can tell ATC.

I'd say there's a big difference between telling the tower you need a little time before takeoff, and just sitting there without telling them what you're doing.

If you accept a takeoff clearance and immediately ask for a two minute delay for wake turbulence, i'd expect something like 'request approved, line up and wait'.

Yes your clearance could be canceled, but I wouldn't expect it. Maybe if there was a 737 on final. Unless there is a tailwind, it is not a problem to takeoff after a landing aircraft as long as you liftoff past his touchdown point, so you wouldn't have to delay after he landed.

If you do as Hawka suggests and take 30 seconds to get rolling, 30 seconds to taxi in place and sit on the numbers for a minute with no explanation, you could get your clearance canceled too.

OK. I agree. I misunderstood. If you want the extra time to avoid the wake turbulence (and you should), then let the tower know. I imagine they don't want you to pancake onto their nice runway any more than you do.

That was a statement to you, not about you.

Sorry for the ambiguity.

It's easy to read a post and not who it's from. The guy you responded to has a phonetically similar name -- and a virtually identical attitude -- to someone who was banned for trolling a few weeks ago.

Ok, I understand.

I don't request a takeoff delay from the tower I just do it. If they tell me I'm cleared to takeoff but add the "warning wake turbulence", I will then proceed to take my sweet time to take as long as I want to get moving. Remember ATC works for US. Important thing is to line up so they don't let someone else get in front of you. They will not tell you to get moving because if something happens then they're in a world of hurt. Try it next time.

troll_dolls_a_l.jpg

Is that true? Would you really lose the takeoff clearance because of following a safety procedure? He issued the caution along with the clearance.

"taking your sweet time" and taking 30 seconds to start rolling, 30 seconds to get onto the runway, and sitting on the runway for two minutes is about as far from a "safety procedure" as I can think of. The wake turbulence warning is there to allow you to modify your technique to accommodate, or if you don't know how or are unable for some reason, it's on you to communicate that to ATC. Doing as hawka describes is stupid and potentially dangerous.

And yes, if you do it, even at an airport that's only moderately busy, I would expect you to have your takeoff clearance cancelled and told to exit the runway at the next available taxiway exit. They'll not bother clearing you for takeoff behind anything that requires a wake turbulence advisory next time.

Is that true? Would you really lose the takeoff clearance because of following a safety procedure? He issued the caution along with the clearance.

If they clear you for takeoff and there is another aircraft on final and you dilly dally moving toward the hold short line, yes, they most definitely can cancel your takeoff clearance and let traffic on final land rather than force them to go-around.

Now if you do what Mr Hockey is saying and immediately take the runway and then sit there for an extended time, they will be forced to send other traffic around. That might happen a couple of times before Tower gets wise and starts to excessively delay your clearance.

It is possible to be safe AND a good neighbor at the same time.

bottom line, ATC and the pilot must work together for the system to work. COMMUNICATE ! Let Tower know you request wake turbulence delay ahead of time.

If they clear you for takeoff and there is another aircraft on final and you dilly dally moving toward the hold short line, yes, they most definitely can cancel your takeoff clearance and let traffic on final land rather than force them to go-around.

Now if you do what Mr Hockey is saying and immediately take the runway and then sit there for an extended time, they will be forced to send other traffic around. That might happen a couple of times before Tower gets wise and starts to excessively delay your clearance.

It is possible to be safe AND a good neighbor at the same time.

Not only that, but the PIC will probably have to make a phone call as well.

Back