IGI for IRA written exemption

Jaybird180

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Jaybird180
If a PPL passes the IGI exam, does that exempt him/her from having to take the IR written in pursuit of Instrument privileges on their pilot certificate?

The applicant has to test take the IR test. If the applicant mistakenly took the wrong test, he can take the FOI and get an IGI certificate.

61.65(a)(7) Pass the required knowledge test on the aeronautical knowledge areas of paragraph (b) of this section; however, an applicant is not required to take another knowledge test when that person already holds an instrument rating;

Last edited:
The IGI test is not credited toward anything even though the material is pretty much the same for the ground instructor, flight instructor, and pilot certificate ratings.

So an IGI can teach the IRA and IRH but the test doesn’t qualify him to take a check ride. :eek:

So an IGI can teach the IRA and IRH but the test doesn’t qualify him to take a check ride. :eek:
No different than college…I was once told that if I taught three aviation courses, that would cover the course requirements for my degree.

Anybody can TEACH anything. The IGI only lets you sign off people for the (pilot certificate) instrument rating written exam.

Back