IFR X-Cntrys today, and Got some real IMC

sheldon957

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Sheldon957
I am enrolled in a part 141 school for my IFR. Our curriculum requires 2 cross countrys with 3 approaches each. So my instructor and I left on a very long trip to do them both in one day. I also flew the 182 since they were such long flights, almost 300 nm each way, and mileage is what counted, not time like in one of the commercial x-cntrys (rent a 150?) Did 2 approaches on the way up, and the final at the destination to complete the first cross country.

On the morning trip, I got into my very first IMC (only about 10 minutes) and light icing for about 2 minutes. It was very cool.......literally. We would have stayed longer if the ice didn't happen. On the climb out, the temperatures acted normal...ie dropping the higher we went. Finally as we went into the clouds, the water started running up the windshield and pouring off the struts. I watched the OAT as it kept dropping. It went from about 37 degrees on the ground (by the way this was in Sunny South Florida....right!) down to 28 in a very short time, and here came the ice. The clouds started around 4000 with tops around 5200, so I quickly climbed out of them. I was cleared for 6000. The cloud line only lasted for about the first 50 miles of the trip, then it was clear flying (I am told)

We climbed through and got on top. The temp went back UP to 44, then the further north we went, it dropped slowly to around 38. It stayed like this all the way from Lantana, FL (KLNA) which is about 50 miles N of Miami near West Palm Beach, to Tallahassee, FL (KTLH). As we started our descent, the temperature started DROPPING. By the time we were on the ground, it was 30 degrees again. Amazing, to me at least.

Here I digress for a moment:

Flight Line FBO topped off the fuel, ($4.73 or so, Jet was $5.25 or so) and gave us a Crew Car (Honda ?Passport? SUV) at no charge, to go get something to eat. Here is the key, sign it out. Here are the directions to 10 restaurants. I can't say enough about what a first class operation they were.

Lineman brought up the chocks, helped tie off the plane, fueled it. Great Pilot room with 4 large screen Computers, and charts (and a pool table) Great people on the ramp and inside. I will post this information on the AOPA airport comments also. A great resource by the way.

Now this part is "where or how long ago did that guy get his ticket". After a great lunch, we got ready to fly to a nearby airport for an approach. As we were taxiing up to the runup area, you could clearly see the ILS sign, and a large area with yellow bars all through it. "Don't stop here" it screamed. I went to an area and turned into the wind. Then a guy in a King Air 90 taxis right by us into this painted area, does a 270 turn there,:eek: and proceeds to do his runup in front of the ILS equipment. "here's your sign" :confused: Forgive me for my digression.

After some approaches, we started back, and proceeded to climb to 7000'. Again, there was the same temperature inversion. After about 4000', the temperature started to go up. 34 on the ground, 28 at 4000, then 44 at 7000'. I just don't get it. There was a quartering tailwind, around 16, but I saw that when we made our first turn, it would change to a crosswind.

So I used the G1000 Map page to load the winds aloft. One more reason I LOVE this thing. I saw that at 9000', we would have a tailwind of 22 almost the whole trip. So I asked for 9000, they gave it to me with a slightly different routing, and I was making 162-164 ground speed. (I was dissappointed, the previous day there was a tailwind of 80, I was wanting to see a 230 ground speed! :D)

After Orlando, I got to fly about 45 minutes of actual IMC. I took it off autopilot and hand flew the last hour of the trip, just to do it.
So cool! Only slightly bumpy from time to time.

But this temperature inversion thing really had me scratchin' my head.

Nice write up.
About the king air dufus....
I can't be completely sure you are talking about the ILS critical area but if you are then you don't have to hold short of it (before the monkey bars) unless ground instructs you so he could have been ok.
If the weather was good, they probably had no need to protect the ILS critical area. Was this at KTLH? Where on the field? Can you describe the markings and signage
Check out:
http://www.faa.gov/RunwaySAFETY/ace/presentations/6.ppt

Nice write up.
I can't be completely sure you are talking about the ILS critical area but if you are then you don't have to hold short of it (before the monkey bars) unless ground instructs you so he could have been ok.
If the weather was good, they probably had no need to protect the ILS critical area. Was this at KTLH? Where on the field? Can you describe the markings and signage
Check out:
When he said
ILS sign, and a large area with yellow bars all through it. "Don't stop here" it screamed.
it sounded a little non-standard to me. Heck, I figure the King Air guy had a friend out shooting practice approaches and wanted to mess with him! :rofl:

Great writeup, BTW!

Nice write up.
Check out:

This was just to the east of the beginning of Rwy 36. The sign was large with ILS on it. The area to the north of the sign was probalbly 50 x 75', covered in yellow stripes running at an angle all the way across. There was no hold bar.

Looking at the satellite photo and the airport diagram I'm having trouble figuring this one out. I see the runup pad on Mike just east of and the same size as the 36 displaced threshold, separated from Mike and Alpha by the dashed lines. Other wise, I don't see a "no taxi" area east of 36, unless they've added it since the satellite photo was taken (always a possibility)? Nor is there an ILS crit area? I is confused.

Looking at the satellite photo and the airport diagram I'm having trouble figuring this one out. I see the runup pad on Mike just east of and the same size as the 36 displaced threshold, separated from Mike and Alpha by the dashed lines. Other wise, I don't see a "no taxi" area east of 36, unless they've added it since the satellite photo was taken (always a possibility)? Nor is there an ILS crit area? I is confused.

That satelite photo is from google earth, and is about 2-3 years old, and they have obviously added the ILS and no hold area since then. The area is just shown as black asphalt square with with a "right" triangle next to it, all located to the right (east) of the displaced threshold markings on RWY 36.

The taxiway sidelines run at an 45 angle to the top, then straight to the hold bars. I was in the "right" triangle part.

Nice trip report and sounds like a great flight. Glad you got to experience a little IMC and a tiny bit of icing during your flight. Those are experiences that you can really a lot from and that not many people get when trying to obtain the rating.

The ILS Hold line only applies when the weather is less than 700-2 and there's an aircraft on the ILS inside the FAF. And it's the controller's responsibility to tell you that you have to stop at that point (only they know if anyone's on ILS final).

Then a guy in a King Air 90 taxis right by us into this painted area, does a 270 turn there,:eek: and proceeds to do his runup in front of the ILS equipment.

When did King Airs start doing runups?

Regards,
Joe

When did King Airs start doing runups?
Regards,
Joe

I do sort of one in the Conquest (PT-6s), first flight of the day a governor test where you run them up to make sure they do not over rev, and each flight an autofeather test where you run them up and sequentially pull one then the other to see if they unload properly.
I think the King Airs are Garretts with nts, but I'd bet they have similar requirements. Plus there are all the other pretakeoff checks to do. Like make sure the last guy did not move the cabin p switch to 'depressurize'!

I do sort of one in the Conquest (PT-6s), first flight of the day a governor test where you run them up to make sure they do not over rev, and each flight an autofeather test where you run them up and sequentially pull one then the other to see if they unload properly.
I think the King Airs are Garretts with nts, but I'd bet they have similar requirements. Plus there are all the other pretakeoff checks to do. Like make sure the last guy did not move the cabin p switch to 'depressurize'!

We, too, do runups in the 1900. Only one per day (first flight of the day checks), but it's quite a few items long (a whole lot more for the CA than for me), and usually takes about 5-10 minutes. And that's with the PT-6, too (it's the PT6A-67D). I'm pretty sure the whole King Air line (to which we're the fat redheaded step-child) uses various sizes of PT6s. The Merlins, I think, use the Garrett Grenades.

The 'box' with the yellow stripes is a non-standard marking as far as I can tell. I can't see it anywhere in FAA publications. It is the protected ILS critical area, you can go in there most times and do a run-up but if weather is low, and ground says stay clear you can't.
I talked to the controller at ktlh 850-942-9642

Back