IFR X-C tomorrow

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
Tomorrow's the day. BWI HGR CBE LNS BWI. I'll let you know how it goes.

Good Luck Ben!
As soon as I get my New DG I shouldn't be too far behind you. :dance:

Joe Williams said:
Have fun, Ben :) What time do you plan to be at LNS?
Hi! It is hard to say, because LNS will be the third airport out of four (and I have to make approaches and land at all of them). I estimate departing BWI at 11:00 AM, arriving KHGR at 11:45 AM, and arriving KCBE at 12:30 PM. We'll probably stop for awhile there before we takeoff again for LNS, so I'd say the earliest at LNS would be 1:30, and probably more like 2:30. We're planning on having lunch either at KCBE or KLNS. If you're listening for us, it will be real easy to identify us as we'll be in the Zlin!

Do not have anything to drink (fluids) prior to this trip. It always takes a lot longer than you think.... :)

That will be a fun flight, finally getting to put your IFR skills to use to go somewhere!

Mine was on a super cruddy low IMC kind of day, low pressure system, high winds, etc. It was quite a workout, especially with all the bumps and solid IMC. About halfway down, when it was especially nasty, I had the eye vent overhead blowing on me since I was sweating bullets and we were starting to pick up ice. All of a sudden we were flying through these little ice ball things, slightly smaller than hail. They got sucked into the ventelation system and were now pelting me on the head and face at a high rate of speed!! I was too white knuckled to take a hand off the yoke and close the vent, so I had to ask my instructor to do it,.. who I think was pretending to be napping at the time (show off)!

After we landed he told me what a great experience it was getting all this stuff, and that if I ever went off on my own in weather like that he would kill me.

Good times...

Is the required x/c for the instrument rating always with CFII, or can it be done with a safety pilot?

Matt

The restaurant at LNS is quite decent.

Have a good flight, Ben, and enjoy it.

Jim G

mattaxelrod said:
Is the required x/c for the instrument rating always with CFII, or can it be done with a safety pilot?

Matt

61.65d(iii) For an instrument—airplane rating, instrument training on cross- country flight procedures specific to airplanes that includes at least one cross-country flight in an airplane that is performed under IFR, and consists of—....

That says it all. The IFR x-c is instrument training therefore a CFII is required.

Back