IFR Written Test

MachFly

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
MachFly
I was wondering if the score you get on the IFR written test matters as long as you pass? Say if you get an 80% instead of 100% will it ever effect you?

No, it does not. I sit through a lot of IR practical test orals, and I've seen no difference in the test based on the written test results.

You'll never get a flying job with less than 70

Less than a 70 is a fail, so you wouldn't be able to take the practical test for the rating.

If you are implying that a failure of an IR written once will keep someone from being employed as a pilot, then you are wrong.

I've only had the questions I missed on a knowledge exam "matter" once, and it was on the IFR written. ALL the questions I missed (three or four of them) were on the same subject, and the same knowledge code. So my instructor did some remedial training so that I really GOT the concept (it was weather, which is what I'm worst at), and when I took the oral, the examiner did put a little extra focus on the subject. She looked at the test report, looked up the knowledge code, and hit me with some discussion on the topic.

I have the impression that that's what's supposed to happen. Your CFI is supposed to review your results, correct knowledge deficiencies, and attest that he's done so. Your DPE is supposed to evaluate your knowledge, and if your test results showed a specific weakness I'd expect the DPE would evaluate that weakness as part of the overall oral.

But as far as your grades going on your "permanent record" and somewhere down the line you get punished because you only got a 76 on your IFR written - don't think that's going to happen.

Less than a 70 is a fail, so you wouldn't be able to take the practical test for the rating.

If you are implying that a failure of an IR written once will keep someone from being employed as a pilot, then you are wrong.
I think he's implying that without a 70 on at least one IR written, they won't get the IR, and without the IR, they can only get a limited Commercial, and with a limited Commercial, it's rather hard to find a paying pilot job (even if some paid pilot jobs can legally be done with it).

I've only had the questions I missed on a knowledge exam "matter" once, and it was on the IFR written. ALL the questions I missed (three or four of them) were on the same subject, and the same knowledge code. So my instructor did some remedial training so that I really GOT the concept (it was weather, which is what I'm worst at), and when I took the oral, the examiner did put a little extra focus on the subject. She looked at the test report, looked up the knowledge code, and hit me with some discussion on the topic.

I have the impression that that's what's supposed to happen. Your CFI is supposed to review your results, correct knowledge deficiencies, and attest that he's done so.
Not just "supposed" -- make that "required by regulation." See 61.39(a)(6):
(6) Have an endorsement, if required by this part, in the applicant's logbook or training record that has been signed by an authorized instructor who certifies that the applicant--
[(i) Has received and logged training time within 2 calendar months preceding the month of application in preparation for the practical test;]
(ii) Is prepared for the required practical test; and
(iii) Has demonstrated satisfactory knowledge of the subject areas in which the applicant was deficient on the airman knowledge test; and
(7) Have a completed and signed application form.
On the other hand...
Your DPE is supposed to evaluate your knowledge, and if your test results showed a specific weakness I'd expect the DPE would evaluate that weakness as part of the overall oral.
One might think that, but it's not required and generally doesn't happen.

But as far as your grades going on your "permanent record" and somewhere down the line you get punished because you only got a 76 on your IFR written - don't think that's going to happen.

Yeah, they only use your driving record now:D

Back