IFR training

DaytonaLynn

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
One who misses Daytona!
This may seem like a dumb question, but I just want to clarify 61.65:d2. If I read the requirement right, of the forty hours of IFR training needed, one needs a minimum of 15 hours of instruction (dual).
My question is, the other hours do you need a safety pilot? Assuming the time is in the plane of course.

I am planning my budget and trying to make aure I'm not overlooking the hours needed and instructions needed.

Thank you.

40 hours of simulator or actual instrument time. (In the clouds or under the hood)
15 hours OF that 40 must be dual received from a CFII, (In the clouds or under the hood)

Legally you could do 25 hours with a safety pilot, and 15 hours with a CFII to satisfy the requirements, but I learn a lot more flying with an instructor than just a ride along.

40 hours of simulator or actual instrument time. (In the clouds or under the hood)
15 hours OF that 40 must be dual received from a CFII, (In the clouds or under the hood)

Legally you could do 25 hours with a safety pilot, and 15 hours with a CFII to satisfy the requirements, but I learn a lot more flying with an instructor than just a ride along.

Precisely correct and I would agree that even dual sim time with a II is much more valuable than trying to teach yourself just flying with a safety who doesn't know ifr. :yes:

Thanks. I will use both. Just wanted to make sure I had the numbers correct.
I agree II will be way more beneficial!
Lynn

I am planning my budget ...

For budgeting purposes, figure 1.3 hrs Hobbs and 1.8 hrs of instructor time to yield 1.0 hour of instrument instruction. At least that is the way mine is working out. Blew my budget big time.

For budgeting purposes, figure 1.3 hrs Hobbs and 1.8 hrs of instructor time to yield 1.0 hour of instrument instruction. At least that is the way mine is working out. Blew my budget big time.

That is very helpful info!
Thank you

If you're training on a budget, you should consider an accelerated training program. As far as the hours are concerned, most should be done with a CFII with some supplemental time under the hood. Just don't do the bulk of the hours without the CFII, so as not to develop any unchecked bad habits.

I would see if you can find an instructor with an ATD that you can log some of your hours with. It'll be way more informative and cheaper than burning hours with a safety pilot who is not a CFII. You're allowed a few hours of sim time.

I would see if you can find an instructor with an ATD that you can log some of your hours with. It'll be way more informative and cheaper than burning hours with a safety pilot who is not a CFII. You're allowed a few hours of sim time.
Ten hours if it's an ATD and 20 if it's an FTD. And you can often do in 10 hours in a sim what it would take twice as long to do in an airplane in flight. For example, I can run you down an ILS glide path from GS intercept to DH three times in a little over 10 minutes, but it would take 30-40 minutes to do that in flight, even with vectors to final. That's valuable training when you're just learning how to interpret the GS needle and make appropriate pitch/power inputs to intercept and track it.

Last edited:
Ten hours if it's an ATD and 20 if it's an FTD. And you can often do in 10 hours in a sim what it would take twice as long to do in an airplane in flight. For example, I can run you down an ILS glide path from GS intercept to DH three times in a little over 10 minutes, but it would take 30-40 minutes to do that in flight, even with vectors to final. That's valuable training when you're just learning how to interpret the GS needle and make appropriate pitch/power inputs to intercept and track it.

I concur, I did 10 hours in the atd, alternating with flights. It was very helpful for my organization and situational awareness.

Back