IFR Training

captvikki

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
captvikki
As a newly minted pilot. I would like to continue my training. I have started studying for the IFR written. Can I take the written prior to the flight training? Is it even a good idea?

Vikki

Last edited:
IFR Written?

As a newly minted pilot. I would like to continue my training. I have started studying for the IFR written. Can I take the written prior to the flight training? Is it even a good idea?

Vikki

The written is good for two years. You can certainly study to get that out of the way but do not give up studying. You still have to pass the oral portion of the practical test.

You need fifty hours of cross country as PIC so be sure you can complete that prior to the checkride. Some of it can be done during your instrument training.

You can take the written prior to starting your training, however I think the info from the written made a lot more sense once I started my training. Plus, having that information more fresh in your mind when it comes time for the oral/practical is not a bad thing.

I did the written studying concurrent with my training, and it worked out well for me. I did my IR in about 4 months, and started roughly a month after I'd passed my private checkride. It worked well for me, I now just passed 200 hours in 14 months of flying, and am working my way towards commercial/multi/CFI. :)

Re: IFR Written?

It is a good idea to start studying the IR material -- you'll find it useful even in VFR flying. As Ken notes, the knowledge test is good for 24 months, so taking it early is fine.

I took the PP written prior to flight lessons, I took the instrument written
during my flight lessons. For me, taking the written before training wasn't
a good idea. I passed the private with a 72, I passed the instrument written
with a 96.

YMMV

(and yes, I took them so long ago that the written tests were indeed written)

Back