IFR Training Book

dell30rb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ren
I'm a new private pilot and interested in getting my instrument rating (aren't all new pilots?).

I got my PPL in the minimum amount of time (and cost) because I started reading and re-reading material well in advance. I never bothered with ground school.

Of course I had a good CFI and trained regularly!

I plan on taking the same approach to getting an instrument rating. My primary instructor is already in my ear about getting it.

So, what is a good comprehensive book for IR training? There are alot of options!

I concur with Mike's suggestions. I used the Gleim test prep for both my PPL and IR written tests...it's very test-focused and not sufficient for the general knowledge you need, but it helps with the "what in the heck are they really asking for?" FAA questions.

I read Dogan's and Machado's books prior to taking an IR accelerated training course, and they gave me the solid foundation I needed to build my practical work upon.

I also benefitted from Max Trescott's "GPS and WAAS Instrument Flying Handbook", to get me up to speed with my 430W "buttonology". In an accelerated training program, there's not a lot of time to figure it out as you go. If you go the "traditional" route (flying a 2-3 times a week), such a book is probably not as important.

Last edited:
I like the FAA's Instrument Flying Handbook and Jeppesen Instrument/Commercial for complete knowledge, and GLEIM for test prep.

A great book, but not "comprehensive." Better as one to use during the actual flight training.

Excellent choice -- truly comprehensive, but it's "Bob," not "Bog." ;) Another great one is Bill Kershner's Instrument Flight Manual (I think the 6th edition is current).

Personally, I don't like Rod's stuff -- I think he's more interested in entertainment than education.

And a few FAA AC's that I don't have a link for atm.
Useful for reference, but not as a "comprehensive book for IR training."

Excellent choice -- truly comprehensive, but it's "Bob," not "Bog." ;)
Hopefully attacks of "fat finger syndrome" don't have as dire of consequences when flying as they do trying to type on an iPad. (well, now with the Garmin GTN's going into the panel, you might find yourself following the magenta line to Paris France than Paris, TX).

Weclome back Cap'n!!! You were missed!

I ordered Bob Gardner's book. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

I was looking for something comprehensive and the inclusion of the commercial course was another bonus as i'm interested in that as well.

Quick question:

My dad is a rated private pilot but he is not current (needs a BFR and medical). Can I log simulated instrument time with him flying right seat as my safety pilot?

Pretty sure the answer to this is no.

Quick question:

My dad is a rated private pilot but he is not current (needs a BFR and medical). Can I log simulated instrument time with him flying right seat as my safety pilot?

I would like to find out the answer to this safety pilot question too, only slightly different:

(1) What if the person in the right seat is a certified private pilot, has a current medical, but not a current BFR?

(2) What if the person in the right seat has only a student pilot certificate and current medical?

Kimberly

I like the FAA's Instrument Flying Handbook and Jeppesen Instrument/Commercial for complete knowledge, and GLEIM for test prep.

+1. That's what I used.

dell30rb said:
Quick question:

I would like to find out the answer to this safety pilot question too, only slightly different:

(1) What if the person in the right seat is a certified private pilot, has a current medical, but not a current BFR?

(2) What if the person in the right seat has only a student pilot certificate and current medical?

Kimberly

1. I think no.
2. Definitely no.

Regarding logging PIC time, one of the Ed's has a really good flow chart explaining when time can and can't be logged as PIC.

Perhaps someone can provide a link?

Kimberly

The person in the right seat needs to be at least a private pilot, and needs to be current, both medical, and BFR.

Quick question:

It is no, but only for the medical. No flight review needed just to be a safety pilot -- only to be PIC. See 61.23, 61.56, and 91.109(b) for the regs on point.

That's OK (assuming the right rating, e.g., ASEL for an airplane on wheels).
That's not.

See those regs I mentioned above.

Also if you're operating under IFR (which shoudn't be happening for the OP since he's working on his IR), then the safety pilot must also be instrument rated -- see 61.55(a).

Read 61.56 again, Andrew -- no flight review required if you're not PIC.

I didnt see anything in 61.56 about what was required for safety pilot, but, if you arent acting PIC, and are a required crew member, does that automatically make you SIC?

What kind of requirements does SIC have?

I thought I remember reading somewhere that the safety pilot had to have current everything, but perhaps that was only when acting PIC as you stated.

I didnt see anything in 61.56 about what was required for safety pilot, but, if you arent acting PIC, and are a required crew member, does that automatically make you SIC?
Yes.

What kind of requirements does SIC have?
See 61.55, especially paragraphs (a) and (f) for safety pilots.

I thought I remember reading somewhere that the safety pilot had to have current everything, but perhaps that was only when acting PIC as you stated.
I've seen two aviation magazines get safety pilot rules wrong -- maybe you were reading Plane & Pilot or Flying.

Back