IFR total time

ScottK

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
ScottK
Did there used to be a minimum TT hours required for the IFR test? I know it isn't required now.

I heard the 125 hr number thrown around.

When I got mine in 1971, it was 200. Some time in the 70's, the FAA looked at VFR into IMC accidents involving low-time pilots, and some appeared to be waiting for 200 to get their IR. The FAA lowered the requirement to 125, and after watching that for a decade or two, dropped the TT requirement completely in 1997, IIRC. In the 15 years since, the FAA has not seen reason to reverse that decision.

That said, given the typical times to PP these days, and the 50 hours of XC PIC time required, the least I've seen anyone ready for the ride is about 110 hours TT. The only exception to that is the combined PP/IR program they're running at Middle Tennesee State University under a 141.57 special course, where they're getting students from zero to a combined PP/IR practical test in under 90 hours, although there's a lot of ground training and classroom time involved, so it's not typical.

I believe it dropped down in August 1997 when the Part 61 rewrite (NPRM 95-11) took effect.

I believe it dropped down in August 1997 when the Part 61 rewrite (NPRM 95-11) took effect.
That's when the 125 requirement was eliminated. I'm not sure when it dropped from 200 to 125, although based on Everskyward's post, that happened after 1981.

Back