IFR ticket getting wetter

foka4

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Matt Scudwalker
I thought I'd chime in with a few thoughts after a few weeks of being an IFR pilot.

1) It sure is handy. I made a quick day trip from Des Moines (DSM) to Lincoln (KLNK) yesterday to visit my aging grandfather, and with all of Iowa and Nebraska blanketed in thick clouds and low ceilings, I simply couldn't have attempted the trip VFR, even in a slow airplane.

2) I've heard a lot of IFR pilots have a lot of anxiety about flying in IMC after getting the rating. It's serious business, but I didn't hesitate to start using the rating as soon as I got it. I figure I'm more current now than I will be for a long time, so I might as well fly in clouds while I'm fresh. Flying real IFR flights in real IMC has been great for building confidence.

3) I went out of my way to find opportunities to fly in IMC during my IFR training. It worked out well, and almost 1/3 of my training was in the real thing. I even did 3 XC flights just to practice IFR decision making. I think it was a tremendous benefit to approach the training this way. IMC wasn't a big deal to me by the time the training was done.

4) I really wish I'd gotten the rating sooner, but building 500 hrs as a VFR-only pilot in a slow airplane taught me a lot about flying. Building on that strong foundation was a big help in the IFR flight instruction, and I think it makes me a safer IFR pilot.

5) I developed a strong affinity for my 496 as a VFR pilot, but I consider it essential equipment for IFR flying. If you fly IFR and don't have XM WX, shop for a used 396 or 496 on ebay and pony up for the weather subscription. I know people who have the GPS, but don't like the monthly expense of the XM subscription. Heck, I'd drop cable TV before I'd drop XM WX.

6) IFR flying is like crack, but it's legal. I thoroughly enjoy it. And the high doesn't go away.

7) I love my 140, but I need an IFR airplane. Anyone want to trade? I'm just looking for something that's fast and economical. Oh, and I need WAAS and a nice autopilot. Aerobatic capability would be nice. Of course, it has to be a taildragger....

Matt:

You are as natural a pilot as I have seen, so it makes sense that you're enjoying the IFR experience. As for getting it wet right away, as long as you are exercising sound decision-making, go for it. Until earlier this year, my toughest IFR experience was five years or so ago, a scant month or so after I got my rating, and i felt better-prepared for that one than I do now.

Very cool, Matt.

You need to give us a holler the next time you're in Lincoln. :yes:

Matt, I can't offer you an IFR cruiser, however, would you send me a sheet on you C140!!

Dr. B (bbchien @ comcast .net)

Matt's 140 is very nice. I will admit that I often entertain buying it.

Glad to hear you're getting some use for the new ticket! My most memorable IFR experience thus far came the day after passing the IR checkride - two approaches to near minimums - one in heavy rain showers and the other at night.

It has definitely opened up a whole new world of opportunities to explore the flying world even more.

I second your thought about the on-board weather. I doubt I would be willing to fly a trip if I knew I would be in the soup for the entire route and not have XM weather along the way.

Speaking of IFR flying.... I need to do an IPC sometime. :(

Glad that you're enjoying the rating, Matt! I put mine to use right after getting it, as well. Now I've had it for close to a year. In the past month or two I've gotten about 10-15 hours of actual, and been flying in the system a whole lot. The more experience you get the better, and trips that would've been impossible or extremely difficult become significantly easier.

As to the XM weather, I've flown both with it and without it. It's nice to have along, but I wouldn't call it essential. If I'm worried about thunderstorms, it sure is nice to have, though. I do always try to borrow it when I'm making a more serious trip VFR or IFR (>500 nm).

And yes, you do need an IFR plane. :yes:

7) I love my 140, but I need an IFR airplane. Anyone want to trade? I'm just looking for something that's fast and economical. Oh, and I need WAAS and a nice autopilot. Aerobatic capability would be nice. Of course, it has to be a taildragger....

RV-7 sounds like a great choice.

Says the guy with on-board radar. ;)

Remember that XM and on-board radar serve two similar but still different functions. One is not a true substitute for the other, and each has its limitations.

Remember that XM and on-board radar serve two similar but still different functions. One is not a true substitute for the other, and each has its limitations.

very true. the XM downlink will not, under any circumstances, pop popcorn

very true. the XM downlink will not, under any circumstances, pop popcorn

Nor can it provide a cheap and easy vasectomy equivalent for the line guy standing in front of your plane.

Back