IFR Refresher

Terry

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Terry
I got a renewal notice of 12 months for $24.

What opinions do you have on IFR Refresher magazine?

I have dropped IFR and was wondering about IFR REfresher. Are the companies the same?

Thanks,
Terry :)

Both are published by Belvoir. Can't imagine why you dropped IFR...IMHO it is far superior to IFRR (although I get both).

Bob Gardner

I've not gone back to IFRR after I had some really bad experiences with their previous editor. The articles ranged from the completely inane to the outright incorrect. IFR, as Bob, mentions is much better. However, with many of the Belvoir rags, they draw from the same pool of contributors over an over so after a while I get to the "I think I've heard this before" and I decide not to renew for a couple of years and then pick it up again.

Both are published by Belvoir. Can't imagine why you dropped IFR...IMHO it is far superior to IFRR (although I get both).

Bob Gardner

Bob, now that I think about it I got IFR and not IFR refresher. I forget.

I retired back in August and thought I would have to give up my flying, especially my IFR currency.

I took a part time job and that gives me enough money to keep my flying up and I found a simulator to help on the cost. Therefore I am able to keep my IFR current.

So, if I had to choose, maybe IFR would be better?

Thanks for your input. I am currently reading your book, The Complete Advanced Pilot. I am currently studying for my commercial written.

Terry

As others have said same company. I get both, read both, and am uncertain if they are any more or less useful than the other 10 or so periodicals, and websites I utilize and frequent. To tell you the truth I probably learn much more from this website than I do from the periodicals and the website has the advantage of multiple opinions and discussions and most importantly it does not take away from my fuel budget for the week!

I like them both, but due to money being tight, I ended up dropping the subscriptions. I'd love to get them back some time though.

Bob, now that I think about it I got IFR and not IFR refresher. I forget.

I retired back in August and thought I would have to give up my flying, especially my IFR currency.

I took a part time job and that gives me enough money to keep my flying up and I found a simulator to help on the cost. Therefore I am able to keep my IFR current.

So, if I had to choose, maybe IFR would be better?

Thanks for your input. I am currently reading your book, The Complete Advanced Pilot. I am currently studying for my commercial written.

Terry

IFR is definitely better. When Richard L. Taylor left IFRR it began a downward spiral (but I like their quizzes). I agree with Cap'n Ron that some subjects are revisited, but then I think "Hey, there's a new group of pilots who haven't seen this before."

Thanks for buying the book. Do not fail to check out the product update page on ASA's web site and my reader's reference page at
www.asa2fly.com/reader/cap.

Bob

I subscribed to both (plus Light Plane Maintenance) for a time starting in the 90s. IFR was always the best and freshest. IFRR was useful but they definitely repeated articles over the course of a few years as did LPM.

There is SO MUCH more information available on the Web now that it must be tough for them to remain viable. But I just read recent copies of both and I want them again though I'm not sure I'll follow thru. We'll see.

+ whatever Bob says.

Back