IFR Refresher

Richard

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ack...city life
After a several year hiatus I recently received a notice from IFR refresher magazine that they want me back.

Is this mag worth the subscription these days?

I enjoy reading it. Good topics, helps keep you thinking about the decisions we make and how to improve. It's a better read than the AOPA rag.

Well at least they fired the previous editor. I cancelled my subscription in utter disgust because the articles all bordered on the extreme banal to the outright recklessly incorrect along with other lack of responsible editorial checking (of course the latter plagues almost all of the Belvoir publications so I can't really fault them for that).

Here's a prime example. There was an article called "Grass Strip IFR." Great I think, I operate out a grass strip IFR all the time, this will be useful. I was expecting information about how to maintain practical alternate, tips for getting IFR departure clearances from distant strip, etc... I didn't even get the standard "IFR into no SIAP airports" regulation regurgitation. I got three paragraphs of drivel followed by "I flew into a nearby airport with an ILS."

Get "IFR" (not refresher) if you're serious. Still from time to time you have to take a break because the Belvoir rags tend to draw from a very small set of contributors and you get tired of hearing the same old thing. But after a few years break, it's fun to pick it up again.

I don't fly hard IFR and fly only for fun. While I thought the magazine was okay, it didn't really apply to my style of IMC flying. Because of that I dropped it.

I fly for recreational fun. Take off and get through a cloud layer and descend through a layer to land. I set 800' minimums and 1 mile but practice to ILS minimums.

Rarely, do I ever perform a VFR approach. I will perform GPS approaches.

One other thing. I only have a few towered airports I fly into. Most are non towered airports. Also, there is very little traffic out here in western Ks.

Terry

I used to get IFR Refresher, dropped it a couple of years back and just stick with IFR.

Back