IFR Preflight planning checklist

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
I was wondering if any of you would care to share your preflight planning checklist... if you use one, that is. What do you review, in what order, to make sure you don't forget to check something before you depart? In reviewing my personal procedures, I realize that I could do better at having a systematic approach to ensure thoroughness. Just as I don't use a checklist during the walk-around preflight inspection, but do look over the checklist before climbing in the cockpit to "check" that I didn't forget something, I'd like to develop something like that for my IFR preflight planning.

I add IFR items to my "regular" checklists that I've built for every airplane type. They're complex, but they're thorough, and they can be used as a "do" list when I'm getting into a new type, and then as a "check" list for airplanes I fly frequently. I also wrap a cover page with other useful stuff on it. It's a good exercise to make your own checklist as it forces you to review the AFM and the performance data as well as the systems descriptions.

You mean other than "kick tires, light fires?"

I was wondering if any of you would care to share your preflight planning checklist... if you use one, that is. What do you review, in what order, to make sure you don't forget to check something before you depart? In reviewing my personal procedures, I realize that I could do better at having a systematic approach to ensure thoroughness. Just as I don't use a checklist during the walk-around preflight inspection, but do look over the checklist before climbing in the cockpit to "check" that I didn't forget something, I'd like to develop something like that for my IFR preflight planning.

I use the same checklist I use for VFR flight. Getting into a VFR habit that might be a little overkill just means that I am used to one thing and am less likely to forget when I am going up IFR.

It is my answers that may affect the flight.

For instance when checking the avionics I am very likely to go flying with the GPS database out of date. But if I am IFR I know I want to file /g so I will make sure the database is current.

Thanks guys... but I'm not referring to preflighting the airplane or setting up the avionics before departure...

I meant a checklist for planning the flight... you know, at home going over weather, alternates, icing levels, go-no go stuff, NOTAMS, TFRS, etc. I should have named the thread better. :)

add this one to your list Troy - I seem to have a hard time remembering but fltplan.com now has it down near the bottom "RAIM available"

I don't have any formal process. I just look at the weather and what could affect me during my IFR flight. What is making things IMC? Where is the nearest VMC? Is there a chance of ice? Embedded thunderstorms? Will I be able to shoot the approach at the destination. Do I need an alternate? Where should that be?

Then I start to file the flight plan. I look at the departure to make sure I'm not going to run into anything. Start checking NOTAMS to make sure things are as I think they are.

Not really a formal process here either, but I do try and follow the same routine....

At home:
check Adlog for services: IFR cert current, oil change time/hours, 100 hr inspections (I have three)
wx (vans airforce page, aopa, wx underground for locations along the way, destinations and I always plan for an alternate even if the wx is good. who knows when an airport could be closed for who knows what reason while I am inbound)
charts/plates (print/purchase) only print destination plates now with the iPad in the plane
notam/tfr's
AOPA flight planner and fltpln.com (draft and final plan)
Review flight plan on the low enroute charts and VFR sectionals, rather know the things that could make for an ugly day before I am wheels up.

Aircraft:
I keep a log in the plane with the POH that I reference for VOR checks, IFR cert, oil change time remaining and the GPS data base is current, also double check when it boots up to confirm.
Baggage area:extra oil and screw on filler, clean rags and window cleaner, pack of double and triple A batteris, double check flashligts - one in baggage for preflight at night, one small LED in pilots side front pocket.

Last edited:
I add IFR items to my "regular" checklists that I've built for every airplane type. They're complex, but they're thorough, and they can be used as a "do" list when I'm getting into a new type, and then as a "check" list for airplanes I fly frequently. I also wrap a cover page with other useful stuff on it. It's a good exercise to make your own checklist as it forces you to review the AFM and the performance data as well as the systems descriptions.

What Tim said, *1000!

I have things added to my checklists like "VOR Check" and the instrument checks on taxiing.

Thanks guys... but I'm not referring to preflighting the airplane or setting up the avionics before departure...

I meant a checklist for planning the flight... you know, at home going over weather, alternates, icing levels, go-no go stuff, NOTAMS, TFRS, etc. I should have named the thread better. :)

Hmmm. Every flight is so different that I don't really have a set way of planning it. I wouldn't say I plan differently between VFR and IFR flights, just that the IFR ones tend to require more in-depth planning.

I guess I do it something like this:

1) Plan the desired route. (Subject to change based on weather and other factors, of course.)

2) Check METARs and TAFs for departure and destination (FA's if TAF's aren't available) to see if either end will require it to be IFR.

3) Check FA's, flight rule maps, radar/satellite, etc. to see if enroute conditions might require IFR

4) If IFR is going to be required, why? What additional hazards might be out there? (Thunderstorms, ice, etc) What can I expect for enroute conditions (ie where are the tops)? To avoid fatigue and maximize enjoyment of the flight, I try not to cruise in IMC. That also means I don't have to worry about ice or embedded thunderstorms enroute.

5) After reviewing what the additional hazards might be, I look for more information about that particular thing. T-storms expected? Check the lifted index, radar, lightning, etc. Ice possible? Check FD's for expected OAT, airmets, ADDS icing tools, Skew-T's, etc.

6) Review your outs for possible scenarios. What if you do pick up ice? What if you do run into T-storms? What if you have a mechanical/electrical failure at various parts of the flight? What about a fire or other emergency?

7) Review the available approaches at the desired destination and alternate. Any gotchas? Where are the minimums in relation to the expected weather? Do I have transportation plans if I have to go to the alternate? Is there a hangar available if I'm going to be landing there shortly before a thunderstorm is expected to hit?

8) THE MOST IMPORTANT THING: Where is the nearest, best VFR for every portion of the flight? Is it within my fuel range? Instrument flight is where the old saw about only having too much fuel if you're on fire is most true. I've been glad that I took off with 7.2 hours instead of 6.5 on board for a 2-hour flight before!

After all that, I then make the go/no-go decision based mostly on gut feeling after looking at all of the above. The more you fly and the more experience and proficiency you gain, the more Bad Stuff you can deal with.

However, I certainly do not have a specific checklist that I use for every single flight - They're all different! Certainly, the planning for a flight with 3000-foot ceilings and good visibility below all along the route, where I'm going to climb through a 1000-foot thick layer and cruise in the clear on top with no possibility of icing, results in much less planning than a "Hmmm, *might* there be ice in those clouds?" flight, or one where the visibility is 1/2 mile under a 200-500 foot ceiling with the tops at 12,000 for hundreds of miles in all directions.

Learn what tools are available, plan some flights you don't intend to fly, make the go/no-go decisions for them, look at PIREPs and actual reported conditions once you would have finished the flight, and you'll get the hang of it. :yes:

Well, I've about gotten to the point where I've forgotten how to ask tower for a VFR clearance. Here's what I do (not in a checklist).

1) Figure out where I want to go. If I have to make a fuel stop, find a fuel stop that has approaches of some sort and (most important) cheap fuel.

2) Check the weather along the route of flight. This is really the big thing. I need to make sure that I'll be able to make it in where I'm going. This will typically involve a glance at the prog charts, METARs/TAFs for my desired airport, and the MOS forecasts, which give a very good graphic representation of general stuff I'll encounter along the route of flight. I'll also look at the winds and temps aloft. Usually this initial view is enough to say "Ok, this will be another easy trip" and that's usually sufficient.

3) If it's not an easy trip, then I have to look a little harder. Where are thunderstorms going to be, and where am I going to find ice? Some days, it's where am I going to find both (those are annoying days), and figure out a strategy for avoiding both. For icing, this is where I start taking a look at Skew-Ts and area forecasts to find out information about tops, temperature inversions, etc. For thunderstorms, the MOS forecast has a good graphic that gives you an idea of where thunderstorms might be. And, of course, the radar returns are important if it's close enough to departure time to look at it.

4) File my flight plans. I use fltplan.com which lets me put them all in, and then they pop up conveniently along my route. Oh, and file for 15 minutes later than I think I'm going to depart. Because you never depart on time. :)

The plane aspect is a personal question as to what your personal minimums are for what to deal with. If you're flying a junky single engine rental that you don't trust, taking off in hard IMC with no good VMC anywhere nearby is probably not smart. If you're in a well-maintained twin with good redundant systems, then it might be a bit different. That's something that you should have figured out ahead of time, though.

One rule of thumb I use is that if I have to look at the weather for more than about 10-15 minutes, it's probably going to be a bad day and I should think about staying home. Of course, that is understanding that I do this enough that it's pretty engrained in me, plus I fly fairly capable planes for the areas where I fly. A year or two ago it took me longer.

Good advice, but I think a missing element is NOTAMS -- check more than once, especially before going to a new place, and check as soon as possible before liftoff.

They change.

I also ensure GPS DB is up to date.

I won't launch 0/0 without a charged handheld GPS with approaches (Lose all electric on takeoff in IMC and you'll figure out why).

Some of this might be covered in posts above, but my take is:

Use one unified checklist for VFR and IFR. If you are only VFR your response to some query items like, "Pitot heat-----CHECK" might be "------NOT REQUIRED." That is in the same way that if my checklist has, "GROUND-----CALL FOR TAXI" but I am at a little airport, I would just skip that item. But the main idea is to have everything you need on that checklist.

Having said that, for IFR, I pay special attention to any de-icing I have, make sure the lighting is good, make sure all charts and plates are easily within reach, and double the required fuel reserves (a comfort measure).

For those that haven't read it, and granted that it's a bit dated...

The Skylane Pilot's Companion is a decent read by a non-professional pilot about his typical flight planning thought process. He flew a lot of hours on business all over the place in a Skylane.

http://www.theskylanepilotscompanion.com/

Available for free in a number of formats at that website. Another website also says it's been reprinted and is available as a book again, but wasn't for a long time.

He talks a little bit about how he organized his cockpit too, but be aware the book is from a simpler and less gadget-filled time. And a lot less available weather data.

Modify his procedure to use modern tools, and you have the beginnings of a winner self-designed system for yourself.

He doesn't describe his pre-flight planning as much a checklist, as he uses a series of tabs in his "flight book" that must be considered and filled in, before he'd launch.

The constant references to him putting his Coke on the floor make me wonder if he owned stock in Coca-Cola and how much of a mess that would be in turbulence, though. :D

I loved this book, and I own it. If you can't find it, let me know, and I will send it to you! But let me check where it is, first!

For those that haven't read it, and granted that it's a bit dated...

The Skylane Pilot's Companion is a decent read by a non-professional pilot about his typical flight planning thought process. He flew a lot of hours on business all over the place in a Skylane.

I look at the current surface, the 24 hour prog.
Then I go to the weather channel and see what those guys sayi.
Then I look at the Jetstream.

Then I'll look at the Skew T log Ps three hours ahead, and if it's a five hour flight, I'll look about 2 hours west of the terminal area on the Skew T Log Ps.

Then it's off to DUAT. Notams, navaids, slithery runways, unlighted towers, Celebrity notams. Over to Jeppview to print charts and plan fuel stops. Then file.

THEN And only then call FSS from the cell just before departure- checking for Obama/Biden-notams, etc. for the tape recording of the conversation.

Still an IR student, so I file in my CFII's name. That requires calling FSS. Even though I've pulled a full briefing with NOTAMs off DUATS an hour or two earlier I still get a full briefing. Something might have changed. Of course, around here, that assumes I didn't cancel after looking at DUATS. I know, it's an IR and we're supposed to be able to fly in the clouds. However, when the freezing level is lower than we're going to file, and the clouds are also down there, around here that usually means ICE. And a 172 and ICE are a bad combination.

Oh, and have a good idea about your overall plan. You wouldn't believe the disconnects between FSS and ATC last night (or, maybe you would). OLM-CVO-HIO-OLM. FSS said, "no problem, we'll file it as a single plan". ATC, on the other hand, really messed it up. Didn't get it all straightened out, including planned routings, until we were talking to SEA center. Oh well, long XC done. I hear it was a beautiful evening. Darned foggles, I wouldn't know. :D

Still an IR student, so I file in my CFII's name. That requires calling FSS. Even though I've pulled a full briefing with NOTAMs off DUATS an hour or two earlier I still get a full briefing. Something might have changed. Of course, around here, that assumes I didn't cancel after looking at DUATS. I know, it's an IR and we're supposed to be able to fly in the clouds. However, when the freezing level is lower than we're going to file, and the clouds are also down there, around here that usually means ICE. And a 172 and ICE are a bad combination.

Oh, and have a good idea about your overall plan. You wouldn't believe the disconnects between FSS and ATC last night (or, maybe you would). OLM-CVO-HIO-OLM. FSS said, "no problem, we'll file it as a single plan". ATC, on the other hand, really messed it up. Didn't get it all straightened out, including planned routings, until we were talking to SEA center. Oh well, long XC done. I hear it was a beautiful evening. Darned foggles, I wouldn't know. :D

Ghery, good luck wrapping up the IR. When I was training for it last year, I did all my flight planning, Wx briefing, etc. through DUAT with my account, but when it came to filing the IFR flight plan, I simply changed the name on the plan form from me to my CFII, and that was all that was necessary. I never needed to call FSS.

Now that being said, my Examiner suggested to ALWAYS make that last-minute call to FSS, IFR or VFR, "just in case" something popped up, and also as a defense. Not a bad idea.

When I did my long IR XC, about 75% of it was in IMC, so I was able to get some good actual time, including a DME arc in IMC at LaCrosse. What a great experience.

Ghery, good luck wrapping up the IR. When I was training for it last year, I did all my flight planning, Wx briefing, etc. through DUAT with my account, but when it came to filing the IFR flight plan, I simply changed the name on the plan form from me to my CFII, and that was all that was necessary. I never needed to call FSS.

Now that being said, my Examiner suggested to ALWAYS make that last-minute call to FSS, IFR or VFR, "just in case" something popped up, and also as a defense. Not a bad idea.

When I did my long IR XC, about 75% of it was in IMC, so I was able to get some good actual time, including a DME arc in IMC at LaCrosse. What a great experience.

I'm told that last night was beautiful. Darned foggles, I missed the view. :D Logged a whole 0.1 actual as we went through a layer going into CVO. And I missed that with the foggles. :D :D

Back