IFR Plans

Terry

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Terry
Hi All:

My best friend just gave me the "go ahead" to finish my instrument starting the middle of August. Once I am finished I have three trips that I want to make.

One to Colorado Springs, One to Marshall, Texas, and one to Missoula, Montana.

Colorado Springs: My son lives there and we would fly up and see him and his wife. Approximately 1 1/2 hours one way.

Marshall, Texas: I fly this every year. My Mom, 85 years old, climbs in the plane and away we go to visit her brother and two sisters and eat catfish and hush puppies on Caddoe Lake.

Missoula: My son and his family live there. We were planning to leave Hays, Kansas and fly to Casper and refuel and then up I90 and into Missoula. That appears to be about the "lowest" way concerning mountains and terrains.

Any comments on the Missoula trip? I have about 200 hundred hours, have lived in the mountains for some 20 years, and have read Immeson's book on mountain flying. I am a cautious and safe pilot and am concerned about the distance. I have a nice 172 available or a piper warrior that is available.

Comments welcome, smart remarks also allowed. :D

Terry

not meant as a smart remark, just a Q:
what did you mean about your best friend??

Focus, Focus, Focus!

Yes, my wife, Arlene, best friend, the one that knows me very well, the one who is wise to my intentions, and has been for +34 years.

Terry

P.S.> I make the money. When she has saved up enough I get the go ahead. Go ahead given, I am excited. :yes:

Terry said:
Focus, Focus, Focus!

Yes, my wife, Arlene, best friend, the one that knows me very well, the one who is wise to my intentions, and has been for +34 years.

Terry

P.S.> I make the money. When she has saved up enough I get the go ahead. Go ahead given, I am excited. :yes:

Like I said, His Banker

Terry said:
One to Colorado Springs, One to Marshall, Texas, and one to Missoula, Montana.

<snip>

Any comments on the Missoula trip? I have about 200 hundred hours, have lived in the mountains for some 20 years, and have read Immeson's book on mountain flying. I am a cautious and safe pilot and am concerned about the distance. I have a nice 172 available or a piper warrior that is available.

Terry,

For Missoula and Colorado Springs, take the 172. You could do either trip in the Warrior, but not if you want to bring someone else along plus luggage. High altitude equals lack of performance and the 172 has more performance to give away than the Warrior does.

If timing allows try the Colorado Springs trip first of the two. Some actual high-altitude take-offs and landings in a relatively flat environment would be nice practice before you take on the mountains. In fact you can probably talk your instrument instructor into taking you up there on your long x-country.

As for the distance of the Missoula trip: there are two aspects of distance to worry about. The obvious one is gas and that's easy to keep an eye on. Remember to lean the engine. If you're following I90 there will be places along the way to refuel - be hair-triggered ready to stop for gas and you'll be fine. It really doesn't matter if you make it with one stop or five. Peace of mind in the tanks is a good thing. The other aspect is weather: what's happenning in Missoula has little to do with what's happening in Kansas. Study the forecasts ahead of time and always have in mind where you're going to land if the weather ahead doesn't live up to forecast. You'll have a blast.

Regards,
Joe

As far as the MSO flight, I would recommend avoiding BTM (Butte, MT) for fuel as they are usually .40 - .50/gallon more expensive than anyone else and they try to charge landing fees. BZN or Three Forks - can't remember their ID off the top of my head, would be good choices instead. The I-90 route is good, but once past BTM, there isn't anywhere to stop for fuel until MSO. Another route you may consider, that is lower yet than the I-90 route, but may add significant distance depending on where you're coming from is to buzz up to Great Falls (GTF) and then west over Lincoln and drop into MSO. You have a few little hills to cross in between GTF and MSO, but this route will keep you over flat ground until that point with a good view of the Crazy and Bridger mountains as well as the Big and Little Belts. GTF is a nice fuel stop as well and Holman Aviation does have a courtesy car available. I've flown both routes from Laurel (just west of BIL) and the GTF route is about 25nm longer. Usually where the thunderstorms or snow showers were or how much fuel I could carry dictated which route I took.

It'll be a beautiful flight. Have a Moose Drool in MSO for me when ya get there.

Laurie said:
Have a Moose Drool in MSO for me when ya get there.

:rofl: If I hadn't just been through MT in the last couple of days and seen the billboards, I'd have thought you were crazy! :goofy:

flyingcheesehead said:
:rofl: If I hadn't just been through MT in the last couple of days and seen the billboards, I'd have thought you were crazy! :goofy:

If you ever get back up that way, take a tour of Big Sky Brewing Company. They are just down the street from the MSO airport and you can get all kinds of good stuff, and beer too. They have free samples of all their regular brews and then whatever the seasonal one happens to be.

Terry said:
Focus, Focus, Focus!

Terry

She must read the forums.

Back