IFR Intro Materials or Website

Rob Schaffer

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
CLR2TKF
Can you guys recommend some downloadable materials or websites for how to read approach plates and some basic intro to IFR?

I'm scheduled to take an intro lesson next Wednesday for some ground school and maybe some sim time if I'm able, but would like to read up a little before hand. This is just for me to become situationally aware in the IFR environment when flying a long XC this summer to Gastons with an IR rated pilot. This way I can be aware of what is going on, and help out as well if needed.

I'm hoping to take a few hours on the ground/sim, and maybe an actual flight under the hood to see it work in the air over the next few months, we'll see. Currently, I have 12 hrs XC since my PP, so a little more to go and a lot of saving $$$ till I jump in completely for the rating.

Last edited:
When I went for my IR, I used the FAA materials. I found that they don't really go into a ton of detail about how to use approach plates. The Jeppesen DVDs (which I borrowed from a friend) I did find to be good at going over how the charts worked... but they're expensive.

As well as doing a flight under the hood, I would suggest that you try to get some time doing a flight in actuals, even if it's just flying right seat with someone else. It shouldn't be difficult to do once Spring hits and it will give you an idea of what it's like. There's nothing quite like the real thing, and it's good experience to have.

When I went for my IR, I used the FAA materials. I found that they don't really go into a ton of detail about how to use approach plates. The Jeppesen DVDs (which I borrowed from a friend) I did find to be good at going over how the charts worked... but they're expensive.

As well as doing a flight under the hood, I would suggest that you try to get some time doing a flight in actuals, even if it's just flying right seat with someone else. It shouldn't be difficult to do once Spring hits and it will give you an idea of what it's like. There's nothing quite like the real thing, and it's good experience to have.

What Ted said, only you should get some time doing a flight in actual, not "actuals." ;)

Also, do some more XC flying, and get flight following. As long as they don't ditch you between sectors, it's a lot like being "in the system". In fact, "the system" does include VFR aircraft, we're all flying in the same air. The +500 cruising altitude rules are part of what makes the system work, by separating VFR aircraft by altitude from the IFR aircraft.

Also the Instrument Procedures Handbook at faa.gov has decent treatment of NACO approach plates.

Be sure to talk to your instructor about the cross country time. Around here the the most convenient practice approaches are about 25nm away. If a student need cross country time we go the other way and include a landing. So for about 50nm extra and a landing (0.5 tach) you get 1.5-2.0 hrs x/c time in the system.

I don't mean to dismiss Kent's suggestion but use those for going someplace fun. It's easy to get 20 hrs x/c time during instrument training. At least around here and I expect most places. More than that and I feel you'd miss out on really learning to fly VFR cross-countries.

Joe

I typically get flight following anywhere I go, and I'm comfortable with the radio work. I'm looking to be as prepared as I can to fly right seat, and also know what is going on if we happen to need an IFR approach to an airport along the way to Gastons or back. Not for me to fly an approach or anything, but just to help out if needed with tuning the equipment and following the chart.

I'll see if some guys at Wings have the Jepp DVD's or King that I can borrow. I've downloaded the FAA manual above in the mean time.

I typically get flight following anywhere I go, and I'm comfortable with the radio work. I'm looking to be as prepared as I can to fly right seat, and also know what is going on if we happen to need an IFR approach to an airport along the way to Gastons or back. Not for me to fly an approach or anything, but just to help out if needed with tuning the equipment and following the chart.

Rob,

In that case, I'd suggest not only the Instrument Procedures Handbook that Joe mentioned, but also the NACO Aeronautical Chart User's Guide, specifically the IFR stuff. I'd also suggest that you bug one of the many local PoAers out there for an expired IFR low enroute chart and an expired book of approach plates so that you have something real to look at while reading the chart user's guide. There's also a TON of useful and interesting information in the front and back pages of the approach plate books. :yes:

What Ted said, only you should get some time doing a flight in actual, not "actuals." ;)

Maybe out in cheeseville you only have one, but around here, we got lots! ;)

Rob, if we can arrange it, you're always welcome to fly along right seat sometime when I'm flying in actuals. If nothing else, I do enough animal rescue flights that I'm sure once spring comes up there will be a number of opportunities.

Rob,

In that case, I'd suggest not only the Instrument Procedures Handbook that Joe mentioned, but also the NACO Aeronautical Chart User's Guide, specifically the IFR stuff. I'd also suggest that you bug one of the many local PoAers out there for an expired IFR low enroute chart and an expired book of approach plates so that you have something real to look at while reading the chart user's guide. There's also a TON of useful and interesting information in the front and back pages of the approach plate books. :yes:
Yes, but they're available online, too. Go to http://naco.faa.gov/index.asp?xml=naco/online/d_tpp, select the link to digital - Terminal Procedures. At the bottom of the page there'll be links to Legends & General Information. If you click on one of the states you'll get a search page at the bottom of which you'll find the aforementioned link, plus one for the Airport Diagram Legend. It (almost) goes without saying that you can look at actual approach plates, SIDS and STARS, and airport diagrams here. (I didn't link directly to the pages because the links would become obsolete.)

The Chart Users Guide is available at http://naco.faa.gov/index.asp?xml=naco/online/aero_guide and has all sorts of good information. It's worth the $4 to buy a copy, but the online version is handy.

You can see the en-route chart for any area by going to www.skyvector.com and clicking the Enroute L- chart button on the top-right area of the chart.

Back