IFR Hays to Wheeler Downtown

Terry

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Terry
Hi everyone,

I am a 65 year old pilot and earned my instrument rating around 4 years ago. I am current but I have only flown actual IFR when I was training. I have flown IFR in VFR conditions 2 times and both were to non-towered airports. One was Hays, Ks. to LaJunta, Co. and one was Hays, Ks. to Clayton, NM.

I have flown to Wichita, Ks., which is class "C" but was VFR.

I have never flown in class "B". Hence my adventure.

April, 14th, I will file IFR from KHYS, Hays, to Wheeler/Downtown, KMKC.

I have a CFI, who is a retired ATC controller, who will be in the right seat with me. I plan to leave at 9 a.m. and fly to KMKC and have a cup of coffee and then return.

This is probably boring for some of you east and west coasters. Out here in fly over country I never fly to a towered airport.

I am excited and looking forward to this trip. My minimums are 800' and about the only thing that would stop the flight. (Icing, fog, & thunderstorms, and common sense.) I am used to flying in wind since I am in western Kansas. Honestly, if the wind didn't blow, it would really mess me up. :wink2:

Anyway, any of you been into Wheeler Downtown? Stories? Experiences? Nice airport?

Terry

I'm not IRF rated, but fly into MCI airspace regularly. All I can say is it is a slow "B" and the controllers are very accommodating for passing through "B" to land at one of the feeder airports. They don't seem to mind the slower single engine traffic, just glad you are talking to them, very professional. You'll have a great time.

Got your IFR rating at 61? Hmmmm. :idea:

Last edited:
I flew there summer before last. I went Denver to hayes to KMKC. great little airport. Great controllers. At that time the main FBO had very high fuel prices and a ramp fee. I went over to Hanger 10 and used the county pumps. The folks at hanger 10 were great. They even gave me a ride 10 miles into town and did not charge me overnight tie down. Have fun. I actually prefer to fly into controlled airspace. Remember most controllers are great and are there to help. You should have a great flight. Sounds like fun!

Don't forget the Nebraska fly in breakfast every month, all year long!

1st Saturday of the month York, NE (KJYR)

3rd Saturday of the month Crete, NE (KCEK)

I am usually at both! :yesnod:

Been there several times. IFR into towered airports is, in my opinion, considerably easier than into non-towered airports!

MKC is a great little airport. If they're in northbound flow (ILS or VIS 1) you fly right by downtown, well below the hill on which the buildings and I-35 sit. It's a REALLY neat approach if you can see the city. If they are on visual approaches, just watch out for the giant radio tower on the south side of downtown. Very tough to miss... Southbound flow is a little less exciting. ILS 19 takes you over the river, and the industrial side of town. Either way, there's a chance you'll fly over MCI.

We usually go into Signature. Nice place...kind of a generic FBO. Free coffee, cookies, water, and popcorn. Easy taxi. They have a cool cutaway TWA 747 model in the lobby. I've been in to Hangar 10 twice (and am, in fact, wearing a very nice tee shirt from there right now). Very nice building and staff, but not a whole lot to differentiate them from Signature, if memory serves. Other than the free tee shirt. I'd be inclined to suggest you go wherever the gas/ramp fees are cheaper.

The KC Bravo is probably the easiest in the nation in terms of traffic volume, radio congestion, and complexity of airspace/arrivals. You'll enjoy it. Take pictures!

If you go to Signature, be sure to read about the history of the building, and look at the hangar door height. The reason the Lockheed Constellations had 3-fin tails is due to that limitation.

Hi everyone,

I am a 65 year old pilot and earned my instrument rating around 4 years ago. I am current but I have only flown actual IFR when I was training. I have flown IFR in VFR conditions 2 times and both were to non-towered airports. One was Hays, Ks. to LaJunta, Co. and one was Hays, Ks. to Clayton, NM.
Next time you come this way (CO or NM) let us know in advance, we'll have a POA lunch somewhere!

Don't forget the Nebraska fly in breakfast every month, all year long!

1st Saturday of the month York, NE (KJYR)

3rd Saturday of the month Crete, NE (KCEK)

I am usually at both! :yesnod:

Great! I will add one of these to my list to fly to in June or July. I am trying to color the middle of the United States map for my signature.

Terry :D

I plan to leave at 9 a.m. and fly to KMKC and have a cup of coffee and then return.

Where are you going for this "Cup of Coffee"? If possible, I would like to come down and meet you in person. It is always nice to meet face to face with PoA'ers.

I'm not IRF rated, but fly into MCI airspace regularly. All I can say is it is a slow "B" and the controllers are very accommodating for passing through "B" to land at one of the feeder airports. They don't seem to mind the slower single engine traffic, just glad you are talking to them, very professional. You'll have a great time.

Got your IFR rating at 61? Hmmmm. :idea:
Geico,

Yes, IFR at 61. It took me three years and 3 different attempts before I finally got PIC and finished it in 5 days.

I flew in March and had to deal with freezing fog, horrific winds, and very rough weather. I got bounced around so much that I got sick, landed and took a break, and then back up again. By the time I finished I was handling the plane with confidence and was at the top of my game.

I have kept current but rarely take the time to fly IFR.

I am seriously considering getting my commercial and on to a CFI.

I will never be able to get my money out of becoming a CFI but I enjoy flying and would like to share it with others.

The instrument rating was the hardest for me but becoming a CFI may be tougher yet.

Anyway, if I can help you work on your instrument rating, just let me know. I fly out of Hays, Kansas and we might be close enough to fly together.

Terry

Next time you come this way (CO or NM) let us know in advance, we'll have a POA lunch somewhere!

Murphey,

Will let you know. My stepson flies out of Meadowlake.

Maybe we all can meet somewhere.

I did a lot of work in Denver. Denny's, Aurora Mall, Sambo's and a lot of HVAC work.

Terry

Where are you going for this "Cup of Coffee"? If possible, I would like to come down and meet you in person. It is always nice to meet face to face with PoA'ers.

Greg,

No place in particular. I think my wife will be in the back seat. She is an author of 5 books and if you will bring your wife, or give Arlene her name, I'll see that she gets an autographed book from Arlene.

It is a Christian romance and two of her books were considered for movies.

I will fill out details next week. I would like to meet someone from POA.

Terry

Greg,

No place in particular. I think my wife will be in the back seat. She is an author of 5 books and if you will bring your wife, or give Arlene her name, I'll see that she gets an autographed book from Arlene.

It is a Christian romance and two of her books were considered for movies.

I will fill out details next week. I would like to meet someone from POA.

Terry

I can make that happen. I just need to be reminded because who knows what I will remember two weeks from now. ;)

Been there many times on my bicycle as a teenager when it was the BIG Kansas City airport - well before MCI. Never flew into it though. Loved to watch the DC-7s and Super Connies. Did fly out of it as a passenger on a Super Connie on my way to Navy boot camp (1958)

the kansas city class B has to be the easiest class B in the country. I once went in there VFR in a Lance with inop Mode C and it was no sweat.

Murphey,

Will let you know. My stepson flies out of Meadowlake.

Maybe we all can meet somewhere.

Sounds like meeting in Goodland some Saturday or Sunday might be the thing to do. There's getting to be quite a crowd of us in the Denver area and an excuse to fly somewhere is all we need to load up and go.

Sounds like meeting in Goodland some Saturday or Sunday might be the thing to do. There's getting to be quite a crowd of us in the Denver area and an excuse to fly somewhere is all we need to load up and go.

We have met in Goodland several times for a Sunday morning breakfast. Will keep you posted.

Terry

Hi everyone,

I have reserved the 172 to depart Hays, Ks.(KHYS) at 9:30 CST on the 14th of April. I think I am around 1 1/2 hours so should be there by 11 or a little after.

I called Hangar 10 and they are delighted. There are NO ramp fees and there is an Airliner aviation museum on the field that was for the Connies. Lowlead 100 is around $5.10 a gallon.

GA parking is right by Hangar 10.

My wife will be coming with me and will be giving away autographed copies of her first book. This is a Christian romance about a divorced woman with 3 kids finding the love of her life. If your wife can't make it, she will still give you an autographed copy your spouse or someone special.

If you have any questions or need to contact me my cell is 785-279-0016.

Looking forward to seeing some of you.

Terry :D

If your wife can't make it, she will still give you an autographed copy your spouse or someone special.

:rofl: That is kind of sexist, isn't it? :D Only wives or women would get into that kind of story? If you know who Karen Kingsbury is, I am into her novels.

:wink2:

I flew into KMKC to see my brother (his loft is in west downtown KC, and overlooks the field) on my way back from OSH last year. Signature was a great FBO service-wise. You're going to have a good trip "getting back in the saddle" with IFR and a CFII along! Enjoy the trip.

KC Center/Approach are great to work with, and Teller already mentioned the multiple large towers to the south / southwest of the airport... review and comply with minimum altitudes and crossing fixes on the approach, and don't start a visual descent if you're approaching from the south until you're sure you've cleared them. Know where they are if you depart southbound...

Enjoy the trip! Be sure to come back and tell us about it!

attachment.php

N912VM (T182T) on the ramp at KMKC:

attachment.php

Attachments

• ScreenShot126.png
    ScreenShot126.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 72
  • DSCN8625.JPG
    DSCN8625.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
:rofl: That is kind of sexist, isn't it? :D Only wives or women would get into that kind of story? If you know who Karen Kingsbury is, I am into her novels.

:wink2:

Yes, I am all for SEX! :lol:

I enjoy reading her books and serve as her editor. No problem if you would like a book.

Terry

I talked to a guy named Kyle at Hangar 10.

TWA is opening a museum in the next few days and it will be on the field also.

It seems funny going to a TWA museum. (Maybe sad)

When I was a kid it was PanAm and TWA.

I was in the Civil Air Patrol at Marshall, Texas and it was my job to take weather readings and sometimes stand by the airplane with a fire extinguisher. Can you imagine today what would happen if you ran out to the airplane on the flight line with an extinguisher in case there was a fire.

How about asking all your passengers to go to the back of the plane until after takeoff? :rofl:

I did this airport work for TTA. Trans Texas Airways, or as we often referred to it as Tree Top Airline.

Anyway, looking forward to meeting some of you.

Terry

I fly in and out of MKC (Kansas City Wheeler) every week. Like others say, it is easy to get in and out. Class B is no big deal, but file IFR and don't worry about it. The fuel prices at the self service pumps on the West side of the airport are some of the best in the area. Airport management has made a commitment to GA to do everything possible to keep the prices down. I wouldn't go to Signature if you paid me. If you do go, bring a suitcase full of money. Personally, I would fill up at the self-serve pumps and park on the West ramp right at the base of the tower. The GA pilot lounge is new and the nicest I have ever seen. It's right next to the self-serve. Feel free to PM me if you want additional information on any of the area airports. I'd be glad to help.

I fly in and out of MKC (Kansas City Wheeler) every week. Like others say, it is easy to get in and out. Class B is no big deal, but file IFR and don't worry about it. The fuel prices at the self service pumps on the West side of the airport are some of the best in the area. Airport management has made a commitment to GA to do everything possible to keep the prices down. I wouldn't go to Signature if you paid me. If you do go, bring a suitcase full of money. Personally, I would fill up at the self-serve pumps and park on the West ramp right at the base of the tower. The GA pilot lounge is new and the nicest I have ever seen. It's right next to the self-serve. Feel free to PM me if you want additional information on any of the area airports. I'd be glad to help.

Are you in any way related to a Mike Shumway?

When I was doing my IFR training my CFII always had the next radio frequency ready to go so I could switch over.

Is there a way to tell what my frequencies will be?

I was thinking I found them one time on my low altitude chart but I can't seem to find them now.

KHYS, Hays, KS., to KMKC/MKC Wheeler Downtown.

Terry

When I was doing my IFR training my CFII always had the next radio frequency ready to go so I could switch over.

Is there a way to tell what my frequencies will be?

I was thinking I found them one time on my low altitude chart but I can't seem to find them now.

KHYS, Hays, KS., to KMKC/MKC Wheeler Downtown.

Terry

You're right, the low altitude enroute charts show Center frequencies... They are in a scalloped blue box like this one on your route, for Kansas City Manhattan on 127.35. Look just south of WEVAL.

http://skyvector.com/?ll=38.92663066850249,-96.33635041941278&chart=410&zoom=1

You can also find expected departure and approach control frequencies on your Instrument Approach plates, DPs and STARs.

Putting off Hays, KS. (KHYS) to Wheeler Downtown, MO., because of weather.
Forecast calling for large hail, possible tornadoes, and wind gusts up to 45 mph. :mad:

Probably will try again next week.

Will make a new post if I do.

Thanks,
Terry

Wuss.

Putting off Hays, KS. (KHYS) to Wheeler Downtown, MO., because of weather.
Forecast calling for large hail, possible tornadoes, and wind gusts up to 45 mph. :mad:

Probably will try again next week.

Will make a new post if I do.

Thanks,
Terry

Back