IFR GPS Suggestions

JasonCT

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
JasonCT
Greetings Everyone!

I want to upgrade my plane to include an IFR Approved Enroute & Approach GPS.

Any thoughts on what is available for the least amount of money?
I would love the Garman 500 with the moving maps etc etc etc, Just not about to spend 12K to buy one.

Any thoughts would be welcomed.

~Jay

Last edited:
I might have a Trimble GPS laying around, if you want one cheap. Otherwise you just can't go wrong with a Garmin 430.

YOu can get some pretty decent late model King GPS that will work fine. I use an older KLN90B which is just fine even though it lakes color and some of the nicer display features. It came with my plane but if I were putting one in I would go with a KLN89B or KLN94. Both are running under $3000 for the unit and a few thousand more for the install. When I looked into Garmins it would have cost me from $10,000 to $15,000 and just did not seem worth it for the amount of time I would need it and only added a few incrimental features. The cost per IFR flight would be very high.

If it's a choice be between the 94 or the 89B, for not much difference in price, I suggest the KLN94. The user interface is a bit better, the ability to "monitor" ILS approaches & etc, and my favorite "PROC" button which summons the approach procedures.

Just my $0.02 worth

If price is no object and you fly a LOT of XC IFR, the 480 is far and away the best unit.

Then I'd suggest a 430 for mid-range pricing.

For great value, it's hard to beat a KLN-94, particularly on the used market.

AirBaker said:
I might have a Trimble GPS laying around, if you want one cheap. Otherwise you just can't go wrong with a Garmin 430.

Amen. It'll cost more to put in, but it's by far the best I've used so far (King/Garmin/Apollo) and they're quite sought-after in the used market.

Of course, if you're not keeping your plane that long... :dunno: Well, actually, if you aren't keeping your plane long enough to get some return on your investment, then don't put the GPS in at all. Let the next guy put the GPS that *they* want in. That's an easier sell.

What's in the plane now? There are some units available that are slide-in LORAN replacements, for instance, if that's applicable.

siegelaviation said:
Go with the 430. Installed price should range from $6500-$8000 depending on how much work needs to be done.

Michael

That is a good price. When I looked I was quoted $10k for the 430 and I already have the Garmin CDI and annuciator.

jdwatson said:
If it's a choice be between the 94 or the 89B, for not much difference in price, I suggest the KLN94. The user interface is a bit better, the ability to "monitor" ILS approaches & etc, and my favorite "PROC" button which summons the approach procedures.

Just my $0.02 worth

JD,

What does the 94 have for ILS, freqs or the course, including showing the markers and touchdown point?

Kent the plane is VFR only right now with a VOR loc.

I was hoping to put an IFR gps so as the Instrument Training would be "easier" not having to worry about the NDB part.

Having the GPS would also eliminate me having to get an ADF and DME equipment, leaving just the Glideslope to worry about.

Just my thoughts,

~Jay

CapeCodJay said:
Having the GPS would also eliminate me having to get an ADF and DME equipment, leaving just the Glideslope to worry about.

Make sure you know the limitation for an IFR GPS being used as DME. I also have DME and the ADF in my plane with the IFR GPS. I hardly every use the ADF but the DME is pretty handy.

Larryo said:
JD,

What does the 94 have for ILS, freqs or the course, including showing the markers and touchdown point?

I'm interested in this as well. I need a GS and an IFR cert GPS. Is the 430 the only choice or will the 94 do this too?

Anthony said:
I'm interested in this as well. I need a GS and an IFR cert GPS. Is the 430 the only choice or will the 94 do this too?
I'm not sure I understand the question.

The 94B is a good unit, coupled with an MFD. The 430 is better, but the 94B with the MFD is a very nice combo, and having an MFD with a larger screen than the 430 (which is small), with the potential to display a lot is a nice option.

If I had the money, I'd make sure you also install an HSI. The HSI makes flying the ILS a PIECE OF CAKE. They should be illegal for checkrides!

you know, you can pick up an old KNS80 (I think) RNAV for a song, put it in, and youve got VOR/ILS/DME/RNAV with capability to go direct to, for a fraction of the price. Avionics shops have literally got these things just laying around cause no one knows how to use them and scraps them for a 430 or 530 that they dont know how to use.

Anthony said:
Anthony, I like the 430. We have one in the Archer and the new Raven II will have one as well, even though it's a VFR ship only.

The 430 has lots of neat features and is even smart enough to switch from GPS guidance to LOC/GS automatically.

Downside is that the minimum cost is going to be around 12K for the 430 and the Garmin CDI. If you have an a/p you'll probably need to upgrade the coupler as well (I think that was about $1,500 or so for the Archer).

RotaryWingBob said:
The 430 has lots of neat features and is even smart enough to switch from GPS guidance to LOC/GS automatically.

Really they just started doing that??! My King KLN90B does that and it is an older GPS.

wangmyers said:
I'm not sure I understand the question.

The 94B is a good unit, coupled with an MFD. The 430 is better, but the 94B with the MFD is a very nice combo, and having an MFD with a larger screen than the 430 (which is small), with the potential to display a lot is a nice option.

I think I know the answer. The 94 does not have the ability to drive a glide slope like the 430, so I'd need a seperate radio for that.

If you already have good nav/coms, the KLN-94 provides the best bang for the buck of any new equipment on the market. It is, however, just a GPS, so all you get is GPS navigation and a low-res map display with no external sensor feed capability (can't show stormscope, weather links, traffic, etc.) If you want to be able to display external sensor data, or if you need a good nav/comm as well as GPS, the Garmin 430 is far and away the best bang for the buck.

Larryo said:
JD,

The KLN94 includes ILS approaches in the DB for "monitoring only" and IIRC the LOC frequency is available as well. I think the FAF and rwy end are waypoints as well.

Many places are selling a factory reconditioned Garmin GNC 300XL GPS/Comm (the precursor to the Garmin 430) for $2800-$3000, installation not included. Won't run a VOR like the 430/530/480, but is a comm with standby channel and enroute/terminal/approach certified moving map GPS.

GNC-300XL.jpg

Last edited:
Jay,
I have a KLN-89B in my airplane. It was there when I bought the airplane and it will be there until I have to replace it. It does everything I need it to do and it does it well. Sure, it does not have all of the functions of the newer Garmin equipment but then again, I really don't need it to. Like everything airplane related, determine what the "mission" really is and buy accordingly. :D

AirBaker said:

Would that be a plug in replacement for a TNL2000? If it is and can be IFR certified I mat be interested.

Jeannie

If it's a Trimble 2101 it's not the most intuitive GPS to learn, nor does it have any kind of map, but it does its job. The main problem is that its computer brain is old and small so when you get a flight plan with lots of waypoints you have to be patient <tap, tap>. Also, with the increase in waypoints in the country its storage has reached capacity so it doesn't show some waypoints like certain intersections on ILSs. But you don't use it to shoot ILSs anyway.

I have used both the 430 and 530. They are amazing.

Back