IFR Flight Plan, Route

Ticket puncher

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Wally
Assuming that you were flying direct to KPAE(Everett, WA) with the intent of flying the VOR/DME 16R arc from CEVLI, what would put in block eight of the flight plan?

Direct PAE or Direct PAE Direct CEVLI - assuming for planning purposes that after crossing PAE you would turn to fly the R-031.

Another question on the ILS 19 for KPWT(Bremerton, WA) - If you were flying V-287 with the intent of shooting the ILS what would you put in block 8 - V-287 CARRO or V-287 CARRO CAN WUMOX

I hope what I'm asking makes sense.

I don't think I have ever flight-planned with the hoped-for approach in mind. Its always direct to the field if /G, or a nearby navaid then the airport if /A. So many things can change which approach, I just use the flight plan to get me 'in the vicinity' and work out which iap upon arrival.

I don't think I have ever flight-planned with the hoped-for approach in mind. Its always direct to the field if /G, or a nearby navaid then the airport if /A. So many things can change which approach, I just use the flight plan to get me 'in the vicinity' and work out which iap upon arrival.

Ditto.

As I get closer and get the ATIS or WX then I start to plan exactly what approach I would like and then will inform approach of my request and be ready to change course to get to that IAF.

Assuming that you were flying direct to KPAE(Everett, WA) with the intent of flying the VOR/DME 16R arc from CEVLI, what would put in block eight of the flight plan?

Direct PAE or Direct PAE Direct CEVLI - assuming for planning purposes that after crossing PAE you would turn to fly the R-031.

I wouldn't put CEVLI in the route. Approach fixes are often not stored in the flight data computer, filing them could get you a "no flight plan on file" response from clearance delivery. Just make the approach controller aware of your desired approach on initial contact.

Another question on the ILS 19 for KPWT(Bremerton, WA) - If you were flying V-287 with the intent of shooting the ILS what would you put in block 8 - V-287 CARRO or V-287 CARRO CAN WUMOX

I hope what I'm asking makes sense.

I'd file V287 CARRO KPWT for the same reason.

I'm thinking more from the standpoint of being in the best situation from a lost comm perspective.

I'm thinking more from the standpoint of being in the best situation from a lost comm perspective.

If you are lost comm, ATC will protect ALL approaches. Do not put approach fixes in block 8. File to the airport...that's what you will get in your clearance.

Bob Gardner

In the event of lost communication while IFR in IMC, fly the approach of choice and land. Don't hold anywhere.

Alright guys, bring it on.

In the event of lost communication while IFR in IMC, fly the approach of choice and land. Don't hold anywhere.

Alright guys, bring it on.

ok, I agree with you. how do you like dem apples!

Now for someone to say you are supposed to hold at your clearance limit. Which 9 times out of 10 is the airport. AS in you 'your are cleared to the xyz airport via....'

So how does one really hold above an airport?

IOW follow your route, plan you approach and land. Squawk 7600 and ATC will clear the skies for you.

Just remember that if you're asked this question on an IR practical test (or by an inspector after you landed out of that NORDO experience), you say that you know 91.185(c) says to hold until ETA at a fix from which the approach begins, but because of the emergency (Note: anyone who says lost comm in IMC isn't an emergency is a total fool), 91.3(b) says you can deviate from 91.185(c) as you feel necessary to get on the ground safely.

ok, I agree with you. how do you like dem apples!

Now for someone to say you are supposed to hold at your clearance limit. Which 9 times out of 10 is the airport. AS in you 'your are cleared to the xyz airport via....'

So how does one really hold above an airport?

IOW follow your route, plan you approach and land. Squawk 7600 and ATC will clear the skies for you.

I would add squawk 7600 only briefly, no more than a minute. Then return to your assigned discrete code. A minute is plenty of time to make ATC aware of your situation and 7600 sets off a very annoying alarm in terminal facilities and makes tracking a bit harder for everyone.

I would add squawk 7600 only briefly, no more than a minute. Then return to your assigned discrete code. A minute is plenty of time to make ATC aware of your situation and 7600 sets off a very annoying alarm in terminal facilities and makes tracking a bit harder for everyone.
I had a lost comm issue and never did the squawk as I was able to figure out the problem (busted antenna lead) and then go to comm 2. But it got me thinking about that squawking 7600 stuff. I asked one of the center controllers at Aurora (Chicago Center) and he told me even if we do not squawk 7600 if they cannot reach us they will treat us as lost comms. 7600 will get their attention faster but it is not always necessary. But you made a good point.

Back