IFR Flight Plan - Proposed Time

mulligan

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Mulligan
When I first started filing IFR, I was always getting my proposed departure time. The last few flights including this am are different times than proposed.

Example - Proposed 9:00 AM CST - Flight aware returns expect 9:21 AM CST

My question is if I am ready to go at the proposed 9:00 AM time will they hold me until the 9:21 time or release me when I am ready?

I have been waiting for the updated time the last few flights but if I can go ahead and get out would prefer the 9:00am time.

For purposes of this question, please assume you cannot just depart when you want VFR and pickup clearance in the air!!

Busy airports affected by Traffic Management Initiatives use wheels up times (EDCT), but I have a feeling that data doesn't make it into the feed which is sent to flightaware. When you call for release (or tower calls on your behalf), that's when they start seeing if you can be fit in. The time you put on your flight plan doesn't mean a whole lot, near as I can tell, other than it causing the flight plan to disappear if you don't get a release within 2 hours of your proposed time.

Just call and most likely they'll let ya go Thomas, unless you're headed somewhere like ATL that is undergoing a flow program. Then, as has been mentioned, you'll get an EDCT. And, if you're ready to go at 8:30 say, no biggie, they'll let you go then too.

Where ya been, haven't seen you on here in awhile. Enjoying flying the 206 all around?

How far (time) in advance of your 9am departure are you filing?

When I first started filing IFR, I was always getting my proposed departure time. The last few flights including this am are different times than proposed.

Example - Proposed 9:00 AM CST - Flight aware returns expect 9:21 AM CST

My question is if I am ready to go at the proposed 9:00 AM time will they hold me until the 9:21 time or release me when I am ready?

I have been waiting for the updated time the last few flights but if I can go ahead and get out would prefer the 9:00am time.

For purposes of this question, please assume you cannot just depart when you want VFR and pickup clearance in the air!!
Flight aware isn't ATC. I don't know what algorithm they used to come up with that time, but ATC doesn't know when you're ready to go until you call them...so call them when you're ready. I presume you're calling in advance to pick up,your clearance before you call ready for your release?

Just call and most likely they'll let ya go Thomas, unless you're headed somewhere like ATL that is undergoing a flow program. Then, as has been mentioned, you'll get an EDCT. And, if you're ready to go at 8:30 say, no biggie, they'll let you go then too.

Where ya been, haven't seen you on here in awhile. Enjoying flying the 206 all around?

Had a great flight to Baton Rouge today. They let me go on call up from kbhm so that answers that. Has a sensor go out in flight so that gave me a scare and will bring it to ATL for warranty repair next week but all in all it has been awesome!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't pay attention to FlightAware. You file 0900, you can get your clearance from 0831-1059. I don't know where they come up with that "expected" time and honestly don't care. ATC isn't going off that.

Busy airports affected by Traffic Management Initiatives use wheels up times (EDCT), but I have a feeling that data doesn't make it into the feed which is sent to flightaware. When you call for release (or tower calls on your behalf), that's when they start seeing if you can be fit in. The time you put on your flight plan doesn't mean a whole lot, near as I can tell, other than it causing the flight plan to disappear if you don't get a release within 2 hours of your proposed time.

I'm gonna venture to guess Traffic Management doesn't apply to him. Since the time you put in there defines how early and late you can get your clearance, that time means everything.

Back