IFR Currency

mpartovi

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
mpartovi
I did a search for this, but couldnt find anything.

You know how FAR 61.57(c) says withing the preceding 6 calender months, you must perform:

(i) At leaset 6 instrument approaches;
(ii) Holding procedues; and
(iii) Intercepting and tracking courses through the use of navigation systems.

Does this mean you must do 6 approaches, 6 holds?
or
The total of Approaches and holds equals 6.

So i could do 5 approaches and 1 hold and be current?

Thanks for the help.

Nope. Here's the legal answer: Within the preceding six calendar months, you must have performed:

1) holding
2) six approaches under actual or simulated conditions (under hood with qualified safety pilot)
3) Intercepting and tracking procedures.

So, you need to have done at least one hold, flown an airway or some sort of tracking, and done six approaches.

If you haven't done this, you may not act as PIC under IFR. You still have another six months after those first six months, though, to get current again; it is just that now you have to go with a safety pilot, and if you are going to file IFR, that pilot must be rated and able and willing to act as PIC. (It would be easier to do it in VMC under VFR).

Now, if you let another six months go, you MUST do an IPC.

Hope that helps!

wangmyers said:
Nope. Here's the legal answer: Within the preceding six calendar months, you must have performed:

performed and logged...

wangmyers said:

1) holding
2) six approaches under actual or simulated conditions (under hood with qualified safety pilot)
3) Intercepting and tracking procedures.

So, you need to have done at least one hold, flown an airway or some sort of tracking, and done six approaches.

And it would seem to me that flying the approach qualifies as "intercepting and tracking"... you intercept a course, and track it to the DH or MAP.

Troy Whistman said:
And it would seem to me that flying the approach qualifies as "intercepting and tracking"... you intercept a course, and track it to the DH or MAP.
I agree -- I don't see how you can fly an instrument approach other than an ASR/PAR without "intercepting and tracking."

Ron Levy said:
I agree -- I don't see how you can fly an instrument approach other than an ASR/PAR without "intercepting and tracking."

ASR approach? It does sound like whoever wrote that particular requirement (tracking and holding for currency) didn't really understand IFR currency issues. Probably not even a pilot.

Back