IFR clearance in and out of KHEF DC area

jkgoblue

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
John K.
I'm planning a trip from KISP to KHEF this Friday and this will be my first trip through the Washington SFRA. I've taken the Washington DC SFRA course but I'm thinking of just filing IFR to avoid the hassle.

My flight plan down is pretty straight forward (KISP DPK V16 ENO V268 BAL AML KHEF) which I picked out from fltplan.com. Has anyone came in from the north east who can comment on the plan? Do they usually give a STAR for KHEF?

http://skyvector.com/?ll=39.7224822...K6.ENO:F.K6.SWANN:V.K6.BAL:V.K6.AML:A.K6.KHEF

For getting out of Manassas IFR I'm a little less certain about what route I would get. fltplan.com is not as helpful here as I'm flying a single engine piston. I'm assuming everyone gets the ARSENAL TWO departure which sends me back to Casanova CSN and from there perhaps the Martinsburg transition. Is this what usually people get for flights to the north east, or would I just get vectors? Any chance of going over KDCA direct to KBWI and then onward? It just looks like a long route that's out of the way...

http://skyvector.com/?ll=39.8578344...K6.ARD:F.K6.METRO:V.K6.JFK:V.K6.DPK:A.K6.KISP

Just looking for some planning advise to lessen the pucker factor :yikes:

Uh, did you check your route on the sectional? It goes right through the FRZ.

Yes, that's true. My bad. I just took the plan from fltplan.com but obviously that was for a commercial carrier.:redface:

So coming down to HEF from ISP the first part of your route is fairly close. From BAL you'll probably get V214 (or 44, same difference) to MRB, then down the west side of IAD airspace on radar vectors (if you're GPS equipped, they'll probably give you direct WOOLY somewhere before BAL).

If you're familiar and /G, depending on traffic at IAD, they may bring you down low east of Dulles in the inner ring direct to TICON intersection, then to HEF when you have a visual and are clear of IAD traffic. If they offer that, be very careful as it's wedged in between IAD and the FRZ. Bad things happen if you go off route either way. That route is basically under the IAD traffic pattern.

You won't get AML.

Outbound, unless early in the AM before the IAD push, expect the Arsenal departure to WOOLY intersection, thence something close the the routing you came down. If you're high enough, they may try and give you the "shark" route (over MANTA), but if you're in a single that route really isn't advised....

Occasionally you'll get an outbound routing up the east side of Dulles, but the only times I've gotten that is very early in the AM when IAD is light.

Last edited:
Back