IFR Avionics question

Two VORs and and ILS receiver is a great way to fly in the IFR system of 1989. That's what I had when I trained. But today, the IFR system is GPS-centric, and many airports have only GPS approaches, some of which (LPVs) give near precision approach capability. I just completed an IFR trip this week, and I noted along my route of flight, coming and going, that 2 of the required airway VORs were out of service, two permanently. This will only get worse as the FAA shuts down additional VORs. And of course at my home field, which was reporting 010 OVC on our return, and LPV approach was the only way in. (Of course, the VOR approach is OTS and has been for several years. It will NEVER be reinstated.)

So, on a more serious note, what do you plan to do with your IFR rating? If you are going to use it, you might as well gain IFR GPS experience, because that is the practical future. Train the way you will fly. Best to learn how to manage the knobology and procedures during training that trying to do it "on-the-job" in the clag. Sure, you can earn your ticket with just VOR equipment, but you will be missing out on important procedural elements of real IFR flying. If you can't afford GPS in your aircraft, at least consider renting a plane with GPS equipment so you have some experience in that element of IFR flight. But if you are keeping your current aircraft and intend on traveling IFR, you should really consider how you can acquire IFR GPS capability.

Cheers, and good luck in your training. You will really enjoy it!

Back